I spent most of this preparation day deciding on what
college I should go to and reflecting on what I should do in this life. It was
an important thing, but as a result I was unable to email in my normal time
period. I got once-only permission from Sister Hillier to email after we turned
in at night, but this is going to be a shorter email than normal because of it.
Here is the big thing I came up with regarding colleges:
In deciding, I do not know enough about what the college
experience will be like, nor do I know the specifics of what it will be like at
either BYU or Carnegie Mellon. I don’t know if CMU is going to feel like “I’m
trying to get away with going to a non-religious environment and still maintain
my spiritual health” or “It’s not a risk to go to CMU in terms of spiritual
danger, as my spiritual health will fall to the most part to what I make it to
be – it’s up to me.” I also don’t know if BYU is going to feel like “I can’t
get any of the career opportunities I wanted! I needed the competitive edge of
CMU!” or “the connections I made and the academics I have are easily enough at
BYU as I don’t need to be the best at my career to get to the
opportunities I want.”
I think that either school’s career paths depend a lot more
on my personal performance, for the level I’m concerned with. But I think I’ve
figured out how I can preserve both options until I have more experience. I
feel like I start off my college education at Carnegie Mellon. Should I change
my mind, or feel I need to switch to a more spiritually supportive environment
after a year of schooling, I can transfer to BYU. (I almost certainly would not
be able to transfer from BYU to CMU, however.) Because I don’t know what either
school is like, and that the best knowledge will be the experience of actually going
to the college, going to CMU first will best preserve my options for school.
This does not mean I have decided on going to CMU, however.
First, as of writing this I still have not prayed for confirmation of a
decision, since this is the closest I’ve come to actually making a decision.
Beyond that, or as well as that, I believe the next week’s General Conference
may provide some further insight.
Second, if this does prove to be the right course of action,
I am only set out for one year at CMU before deciding to continue at CMU
or transfer to BYU. The “final” decision would be delayed until I actually have
experience in what college is like.
I feel a lot better now that I’ve been able to spell out my
reasoning. I increasingly felt like the best option may be what I just described,
but I have not been able to support it in reasoning. Until now, I felt like if
I were to pray about it, I would receive the answer that I hadn’t sufficiently thought
about it enough. Once I realized the main point that going to college would be to
get best experience I could, and also knowing that I could either get further
confirmation by attending CMU or change my mind and transfer to BYU after a
year, I knew I could live with that decision.
Of course, I still need to confirm it with prayer. General
conference’s timing is fortunate for my decision, as I will wait to include
that in my decision-making process as well.
As for what else I realized about college and life during
this recent period of contemplation. I read the talk “Focus and Priorities”
from the April 2001 General Conference by Elder Oaks (https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2001/04/focus-and-priorities).
I recommend reading it. From that talk, it is clear that I must not only seek
first for the Kingdom of God before riches, but entirely forsake the vain
things of the world altogether. Through studying that talk, I understood that I
had the idea of worldly success – go to a good college, make as much money as
possible, and thus find happiness – intertwined with how college would best
help me build God’s Kingdom. I should not and will not seek for property, prominence,
pride, or power. The best way I found to go about that is remembering that
money has power to it. The love of power, more basically, is not trusting in
God; loving the power of oneself more than the power of God is the fundamental
evil in money. As money is power [or can be converted into things, effort,
time, or skills], it can also be used for good. Keeping a spiritual
perspective will resolve most any concerns or worries about money better than a
direct effort or approach to use it well.
Because of these ideas and commitments, I intend to approach
my studies with somewhat of a different angle from the rest of my peers. I know
I can go to CMU and be in good standing with the church; I do not have to go to
BYU for spiritual health. It’s just that I may want to.
One of the harder things about going to CMU will be that the
nearest temple – Columbus, Ohio – is three hours away. That means about eight
hours in all for a temple trip, unless I decide to minor in small craft
aviation and buy a small plane. I would only be able to go to the temple once a
month or so, a sharp contrast to BYU’s casual five to ten minute drive to
either of two temples.
In Pittsburgh, I will also be farther from family. I can
FaceTime as often as possible, which will supplement things, but Sunday family
dinners just aren’t the same by FaceTime. I could still videoconference in if
we wanted to have regular family time, but it would be far from the same.
My career seems to require developing knowledge of things,
which suggests (from some personal things) that it fits into my primary
interests of math or computers, not wholly in my secondary interests in the
arts, music, business, or cooking.
**********
Some other things that happened this week:
I overused my knee last week, so this week I was told to
rest it. We kept to the apartment for most of the afternoons so it could heal.
No use in having a crippled knee longer than necessary; pushing it will just
make recovery take longer. Besides, my bike is in the shop for this week (as
Tyson might not have been sober when he last worked on it). It would be slow
walking.
We got to go to the Jordan River temple open house with
Vanessa and Jeremy, one of the newest families we are working with. They have had
us over a few times, which has been great; most everyone else is very hard to
get ahold of right now.
My taking responsibility for my actions helped when a slow
morning rolled around. I took a long shower under the silent pretense of my
knee, but really I was tired. Some of it was probably from the medicine the
mission nurse asked me to take, but I would have been fine. I went to take a
nap afterward, but chose instead to tell Elder Vandehei that I was not acting
with diligence and felt that I had wasted valuable mission time. From there,
the day went off well. Taking responsibility helped to minimize the damage
caused by my bad choice.
We attended a road show for special needs kids. A rainbow of
friends.
Elder Vandehei and I are pretty good friends, despite not
being similar.
We need a fellowshipping family for Dawnette, and her kids,
Hunter, and Dagan. The lack of a solid fellowshipper caused us to not to want
to leave them alone at church, even thought we wanted to go to another ward
with another investigator family. Because of that, the second family didn’t go
to their home ward (but they did attend church – just a different ward). We
actually were able to make it over to the second family’s ward, but we did not
get to see them. It was a little frustrating, as we don’t think the other ward
will have that family in mind for next week, either. But we have to understand,
as the ward is unusually small.
We helped Dawnette realize she has to lead by example. We
did that through her sons cursing (where did they learn that? Is there anyone
around them who can be a good influence for them so they don’t do that? You
[Dawnette] are a major influence in their lives.)
I happened to run into a man who works for Microsoft. He
told me – unprovoked – that he would write a good report for me; if I wanted an
internship and perhaps a job at Microsoft, he could almost assure me one in any
field of choice. He also suggested I try project management. I have no idea
what that entails.
MTC activity on Saturday – a really dedicated ward made a
wonderful missionary training activity for their youth. Two non-members showed
up, which would be an interesting experience for them. The youth were very
solid in how they supported their friends.
The Messiah concert was on Sunday night. We didn’t know if
Mike was there (he’s the music theory teacher we want to set a return
appointment with). Today that he has pneumonia, so singing the oratorio is
probably not a good idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment