Monday, February 26th,
2018:
We got all our needs
taken care of this preparation day: cleaning, dry cleaning, and the post
office, along with some other things.
The Ferguson's (a
senior missionary couple) took us to WinCo to find a peanut grinder (so I could
buy peanut butter with peanuts as the only ingredient). I had never been there.
The store feels a lot nicer than Walmart, so we’ll try shopping there next
week.
We tried to go to
small businesses in our area during our p-day, but one was only online (the
location on Google Maps was someone’s home) and the other was closed, despite
having the main store sign up.
This evening, we only
had two visits. We spent somewhere between a half hour and an hour walking.
Amy wants to be sealed
as a family in the temple. Due to some personal history with religions in
general, she doesn’t like pressure to be baptized. It worked well for us, as
she needed to prepare dinner and so we talked with them for a while – we didn’t
“teach” formally. It was a long visit, but she and her family appreciated it.
The other visit we had
with a different family went similarly. Long story short, we knocked on their
door at 8:56, intending to leave after setting a return appointment. We asked
how they were; the father said he had a horrible day, so we talked for a while.
It was a good conversation for all of us. It cheered him up. We don’t think
anyone in the family is active – we aren’t sure – but we got a ride from the
father to our apartment at 9:35. We were trying to leave earlier, like
9:25-ish.
In thinking about
these days, I usually just set them aside because I finish with the feeling
that we just did a great deal of good, but actively seeking to stay in people’s
houses past our curfew is not a good idea.
Tuesday, February
27th, 2018:
I had some moments of
friction with Elder Hardt, but nothing too heavy or harmful. It's small,
but it's pretty much been the only thing that's arguably of note in that regard
so I thought I should include that because it was so unusual.
We are going to the
temple tomorrow! I'm glad because we missed out on going last week.
We've had some developments with our investigators:
Michelle, Noah, Kimberly, and Shelley, and Amy and Nick, appreciated us not
asking about or pressing them for a baptismal date, as both groups commented it
confused and generally repelled them from wanting to be baptized. Our
approach was refreshing for them. But, in meeting with Tyson and the
Union Park 4th WML, he thought that we were being too nice with Tyson, so
he directed our conversations. I guess it's a fine art of knowing when and how
to be a little firm in one's agenda. The members that visited Tyson reported that
they had a better experience. We'll continue to work with Tyson, but
those visits will be spearheaded by the ward.
We missed a monthly
meeting for one WML to instead hold a correlation meeting with a different
WML. We found out later that the first WML was very busy; we should have
let him know in advance of our conflict so he could have rescheduled with us.
Missing the meeting was a greater disservice to him than we thought, and we
felt bad about that.
Wednesday, February
28th, 2018:
We passed by a fruit
stand in our walking around today. We had a good conversation with the
woman at the stand, as she seeks to learn and understand different people's
views on religion. She was especially fascinated by the LDS culture in
Utah. She agreed to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it.
|
![]() |
| A huge honey bell at the fruit stand |
We got to go to the
SLC temple today. I saw Brother Zenger (friends of my parents; I had
Christmas Eve dinner at his home); he was a worker in part of the endowment.
I thought about my
college choices while there. One thought that came to mind was that I
could go to BYU, then seek a prestigious degree at another college. This
would let me stably transition to normal life from a mission in the
gospel, figure out what I want to do in life/as a career, and to further
establish the network I have developed in Utah. That way, I'd be more of
a force building off something rather than be another student building from
level zero somewhere else. These were not thoughts from the Spirit -- it
was not an answer -- these were ideas that occurred to me while I was in the
temple, but it was mostly from how clearly I was able to think.
That evening, we had
dinner and a lesson scheduled Amy didn't happen. They had us over for dinner,
but Amy's knees started to hurt badly after we ate. She went over to a
neighbor's house, as she had muscle relaxing cream, so we rescheduled the
lesson.
Thursday, March 1st,
2018:
We had three lessons lined up and cancel on us
tonight. It seems to a common theme for the week.
![]() |
| A sign on a house we knocked on. We still knocked, of course. They weren't interested. |
We finished weekly
planning, however. I'm grateful that we've been able to sort through
things as needed. I should work harder to actively avoid impatience or being
mean with Elder Hardt. I've noticed some of the times when I am. I guess
part of the benefits of the "How Do I Fulfill My Purpose" guidelines
from PMG is that I'm not hesitant to go onward in planning without completely
discussing someone because I do not feel like I'm going against what I've been
told to do by the mission department, the first presidency, or someone in
authority or meriting respect or who knows what they are doing. More generally,
I wish to work on having a clear mind, or seeking to make decisions with a
clear mind. It'll help me to not give in to being tired, or frustrated,
or hungry -- still recognizing how I feel, but being able to work with that.
Our weekly goals and
monthly goals have been gradually decreasing, but I feel it's good; the key
indicators for this week (0, 1, 4, 2) [0 baptisms, 1 baptismal date set, 4
attending sacrament meetings, 2 lessons with members] look more like what a
great week in our area may turn out, given the current outlook on the week
ahead. It's not so much losing faith in people as it is accepting
reality. (Wow, that last sentence reads a lot worse than I meant it.) It
has to do with things like James, Tiana, and Jaymiana, for instance. When
we were not able to meet with them for a week or two, but we've had them down
in our goals as hopefully going to church. They have never been to
church, at least as long as they've lived here. I believe, that it's not
very reasonable to expect them to go to church this week, if we can't meet with
them. So we're not including them this week in our report of key indicators.
I'm trying to view
reporting our weekly key indicators with the understanding that conversion to
the gospel can take time. I don't want to do whatever will most directly
result in numbers being higher if people are not being truly converted. The key
indicators are a measure of someone's progress in the gospel. I don't
think the key indicators were ever supposed to be reached by artificial means
of modifying behavior; there is no joy that comes simply by showing you were
able to have increases in numbers! Rather, the key indicators report are
waypoints to guide us as we help others investigate. When properly kept
in mind, they become a tool to help us frame important notifiers of a person's
progress. So while I want to have high expectations for myself, the area,
and the people I work with, it will take no small measure of understanding the
time, effort, and self that goes into the process of conversion.
Wow.
Ppphhhfft. What did I just write? I think I now understand why we
have key indicators more. I do not intend what I just wrote to be any
sort of attack or criticism on mission leaders who focus on numbers. I am
not agitated at the time of writing this. Goodness, everyone who reads
this, myself in the future included, should know that by now, I'm finished
being concerned with "mission drama" -- the things that draw away
from our true purpose.
When I write
"...artificial means of modifying behavior...," I mean that Elder
Brothers planning for people and going out to help them go to church should not
be focused so much on "what will get them to church?" as he should be
on "what can I do that will get them to want to go to
church?" I hope I want teach of the people we work with to do the
things we ask because they want to and not because we (or someone
else) wants them to attend. An investigator may need some encouragement
to stick to his or her intended course and values when Sunday morning hits and
church feels too early or the baptismal font is being filled and cold feet
strike, yes, but the reason underlying their decisions should properly draw for
them and their choices.
Friday, March 2nd,
2018:
We checked in with
Omar, a convert of a little more than a year. He's doing ok. Cameron's mom
opened her door -- finally! -- this evening. She wants to work with us.
We went in, but then her boyfriend proceeded to tell us to leave or he would
call the cops; he showed us the door while she protested.
District meeting was
on the VGP (Vision, Goals, Plan). We set it as a group, focused on
contacting and inviting people we chance to meet. It's probably one of
the things I need to work on, along with being effective and not wasting time
by not visiting too long, or by staying on task or topic; shorter dinners,
talking and not teaching, etc.
The package with hard
copy notes on colleges from my dad finally arrived! I would be okay with
going to BYU and missing the opportunity of going to CMU if I could get the
same thing at BYU if I worked hard.
I also got two
letters, one from my mom and one from my grandmother. The Lifeproof
replacement cover also arrived, but I intend to use my old one until it
completely rips.
Saturday, March 3rd,
2018:
We had splits today,
and I went to Kelton's baptism! He is a priest-age teenager who is part of the
family we found during my last week in the Canyon Rim stake. I think we
set their baptismal date that first lesson with them. We first heard about the
family through interactions between the bishop and the mom. From what I
heard while visiting during Tristyn's baptism, Kelton was a golden
investigator. The young men's group in the ward/stake/area was a great
support to Kelton. Two young men gave talks and Kelton's friend baptized
him. I really didn't get to know Kelton well, but I'm happy for him. It
looks like he'll do well. He seemed to fit right in with the
priests. What's more, his divorced parents got back together within a
year ago.
It's pretty funny, but
I actually didn't say hello to Kelton at the service. After the service ended,
he was mobbed. I didn't try to crowd in because I knew many people would want
to speak to him, and I didn't have time to linger. There were many other
people there who I knew at the service too.
I had a good
conversation on the way back with the brother going on splits with me. We
met him early on in the transfer at church, where he volunteered his help if we
needed rides or aid in the afternoon. We talked about my college choices. The
new points he brought up were that I seem(ed) to be learning toward BYU and that
perhaps it was due to the high-level LDS scholars to go to BYU and help give it
a name (make it known; build it up more). While I didn't think much of
that theory (I'm not much one for nationalism ;P), I do think I'm gearing more
toward BYU, and he recognized that.
While re-reading my
patriarchal blessing, it occurred to me that going to CMU ensures my academic
opportunities and career opportunities. I could probably have the same at
BYU if I kept working at it. Going to BYU ensures my spiritual opportunities,
while I could probably have the same at CMU if I kept working at it. I want a
good education out of college, yes, but where I go to college will also affect
my life -- I cannot isolate the two. I also want a good spiritual element
constantly in my life. I still haven't decided, nor have I felt a confirming
moment by the Spirit. This was just another thought.
Our apartment
inspection, held this morning, was perfect. It almost wasn't, due to some
crumbs on the stove, but the inspector let us wipe them off. Woot. It's
not that I'm obsessed with getting a perfect, but that would have been akin to
a pebble in my shoe.
We took the son of the
3rd WML, James, to an appointment with Omar, whose native language is
Turkish. James speaks very broken Turkish, which made him reluctant to go
with us, but he did well.
James, Jaymiana, and
Tiana are doing well. We met with them and were able to get on the same
page as to what they want the lessons to be like. They would all like
Jaymiana to be baptized when they go to Hawaii in May. Hopefully they'll
start going to church, reading, praying, and progressing.
We got the word about
transfers. Elder Hardt is leaving while I am staying. It has been nice
serving with him; he and I got along well, despite not having a lot of common
interests. Elder Cannan (from my home ward) is also being transferred. I
have only 3 transfers left on my mission. Wow.
Sunday, March 4th,
2018:
Fast Sunday; we only got to two ward councils. The
week in general has been slower; to add to that, Amy and her husband cancelled
the lesson we set up for today.
It snowed relatively heavily last night and throughout
today. We helped shovel one chapel's sidewalk in the morning. Later
in the day, we shoveled an elderly neighbor's driveway. He is not a
member, but she is an active member. Shoveling helped to soften his
heart; he seemed excited about attending the Jordan River temple open house
when we offered a pass-along card invite. Temple open house invites are great,
as many people easily accept them.
![]() |
| I've learned to look up before entering buildings . . . |
![]() |
| . . . because of the ice daggers that can unexpectedly fall |




No comments:
Post a Comment