Monday, March 12, 2018

Week 88: new companion, hitting my stride, college thoughts


Hi everyone!
After my haircut
I don't know if I'll have time to complete my email this week.  We might have a lesson at 4:30 today, in which case we will only have an hour or so total of emailing. And I’ll have even less time to write than that, because I have not kept up on my incoming emails, because we’ve been so busy. I read some emails from my family, particularly from my father, who gave some more detailed information about my mom’s ongoing medical struggles. He also answered a lot of my questions about my college choices. More on that at the end.


*******************************************************

Looking over this week, we've been very busy.  On Monday, Elder Hardt packed quickly.  We didn't have an activity.  We spent the evening mostly saying goodbye to people. 
with Elder Hardt
On Tuesday I got my new companion: Elder Vandehei [Van-dee-high or Van-duh-high].  He thinks the name traces from the Netherlands.  This is the second area he has served in; his first was Pinedale WY, where he served for seven and a half months.  He enjoyed sports and video games. The transition has gone well.  We get along pretty well.
Elder Vanderhei
We ran into the end of a Relief Society dinner activity and helped them clean up the tables.  We met a few ward leaders, including the young men’s stake president, who was there for basketball.

Our first planning session, Wednesday, was slow, because Elder Vandehei asked lots of questions about the people we are working with. It was good to see the area with fresh eyes. We went out with a priest in the evening.  We walked and contacted people for a little more than an hour and visited a Relief Society president to see who she thought we should visit. It was a long day, as were most of the days this week.  We were both tired when we came in.

The weekly planning session on Thursday went very well.  It was simple, fast, and straight to the point.  All we need to do for it to help us is to check our plans throughout the week. We contacted some of our investigators in the evening, as many of them haven't responded to their phones.  It worked well.

We visited an elderly sister with another member of her ward, per the bishop's request.  She knew the bishop from when he was in primary. From that visit, I appreciated more how growing old was hard.  The sister wasn't complaining, but I realized how hard it is to take care of oneself and face the constant pain from being aged as she described how she was doing in various aspects of her life.

The brother who came with us asked us to give him a blessing.  His wife, we found, left him a week ago. He was still in the beginnings of sorting through it; we sang a hymn with him to get him into the right place before giving him a blessing.  It was only the second time that Elder Vandehei had given a blessing.  I'm sure he felt somewhat like I did earlier in my mission.

At another point in the evening, we a member offered us a ride.  After he picked us up, he told us that he wasn't actively attending church. It wasn't in a surly, rebellious way, nor was it "I'm not active and I'm perfectly happy with it, thank you very much."  I wondered what his story is. Then, later that week, a couple that having us over for dinner mentioned the man who gave us a ride as a family that was struggling and could be shown greater love. His wife had a lot of medical issues, and they seemed to fallen out of the habit of going to church.

Friday we had a multi-district meeting. They are now called multi-district meetings instead of zone meetings, because the church changed the mission policies to allow for meetings that are larger than district meetings but smaller than zone meetings, since getting a zone together might involve a lot of travel. However, our mission has permission to hold zone meetings because the missionaries are so close to one another. So while they are now called multi-district meetings, they are meetings of the entire zone, and but everyone still refers to them as zone meetings.

Anyway, the zone meeting training was on baptism and our purpose. I wrote a lot about it in my journal and don’t have time to transcribe all of it. To summarize, I know that for me to be motivated to do something, it helps for me to understand why. I have a hard time being motivated to do something if I don’t know why.  During the meeting, I realized that I need to better understand a few things about baptism and missionary work.

On Saturday, we planned piecewise, as we were trying to get our investigators to attend a baptism that afternoon. They didn’t go. So we went out and contacted people.  It felt good to go out—it’s been in the upper 50s the second half of this week. A few weird things happened, like a truck driving by where they couldn’t see us when someone let out a ridiculous laugh or a teen trying to throw us off by yelling “Hail Satan” as they drove by, but I was unphased and waved.  That was satisfying. In the evening, we helped someone move, as we got a last-minute call for help.

Sunday started off with daylight savings time.  We had a constant application of effort through the day.  We made it to two ward council meetings, two sacrament meetings, and three other meetings with just mission leaders. As Mormons know, Sunday is the easiest time to hold a meeting.

After church, I found that street contacting is easy when you actually do it. Just open your mouth and talk to people.  The only way to improve is b doing it more. There were a few moments today where I thought, “I’m glad I talked to that person.”  One contact was for two people at a halfway house; another resulted in a referral to the Spanish sister missionaries.

I’m find that I’m so involved in the work right now that I rarely check my email during proselyting time. I’m enjoying my time as a missionary.

**********************************************

College thoughts: My dad sent me more information about colleges, per my questions to from last week. I’m still digesting it all. I’ve decided that my religious opportunities will never be as good at Carnegie Mellon as they would at BYU. In Provo, I’ll have greater proximity to family and more social opportunities with like-minded people. My academic and career opportunities will be better at CMU than BYU. I now realize that at CMU I may get a much larger workload than I previously expected from each of my classes. But I realize that I'm not just going to college to learn in a classroom. This will be another formative time in my life. That is the crux of the issue. I feel like the next four years will be an important part for me as I move into adulthood.  It's a lot more trying to define which one would be right for me, but that requires knowing what I want to do, who I want to be, how I want to live, how each college is, and so forth.

I worry that I might go to BYU and find that I might not be able to get the perfect job for me--the one I love and the one that pays well enough—because I needed the academic opportunities that only CMU would offer. Likewise, if I went to CMU and it was very hard to find friends that understood me or shared my standards or uplift me, or staying connected with family, or dating, or that there was a need I had that required the spiritual growth of BYU. I can't solidly capture it into words, but I do feel that going to CMU would certainly close off some things that BYU would bring to me.

I don't think I will really know that I will have made a right choice or not until I am at the college campus and living life as a student wherever I decide to go. If I go to one college and find a severe disadvantage in the area I chose against, I'll be upset. Unless, of course, I am able to kneel down at some point and pray about where I should go, and then receive a solid answer. That hasn’t happened yet.

I want to add that my choice of colleges did NOT fill my week.  Quite rather, it was the opposite; I had no time to look at the materials and think of it before today.  So, my thoughts on everything college just raced ahead of me as I tried to reflect on what would be best for me.
 
**********************************************
 LDS nesting dolls!




No comments:

Post a Comment