Monday, September 25, 2017

Week 64: slow start, fast finish


Week 64 Journal
Monday, September 18th, 2017:

This is the start of my 11th transfer. I'm going to try a somewhat different approach to journal writing that will hopefully help me even after the mission.  I want to write ideas, not just memories.

This ties in well to what I am thinking about.  There are some things I wish to incorporate into myself:
  • Not working by deadlines, but working by things as they come and as I have time.
  • Making scriptures a delight to me so I will enjoy and seek time to read them.
  • I've similarly enjoyed praying.  Connecting with heaven.
  • Listening to and reflection on truth, no matter where (or who) it comes from.
  • Finding a way to enjoy everything I do in life, especially things I find I do regularly.  This doesn't mean I will enjoy everything.
-----------
P-day went well, as we were able to do most everything we needed.  Our car is clean, we went mini-golfing/bowling with Jeremy, and played ping-pong with Jilin.  Emailing fit perfectly in two hours, shopping is done, dry cleaning is picked up, and generally I feel ready enough to face the week.  We keep the apartment tidy enough. Yet as I look at it, we didn't clean our apartment and we ended late because we cleaned up after dinner.  We had Elder Opificius, Elder Jones, and Jeremy over for dinner, where I made a mayo/cream of chicken/chicken breast/curry dish aptly named "curry chicken with rice."  Sage, cinnamon, and garlic salt went in as well.

We went out in the evening to visit people, but very few people were home.  We visited one family (mostly active members, but the less active member we were looking for wasn't home) and got to hold their snake.  Elder Parnes doesn't like snakes, but Jeremy really really doesn't like them, so it's a good thing he wasn't there.

Having visited everyone on our plans, we hit a slow time where we didn't know what to do.  We synced and from my notes I found someone else to visit.  I'm trying to act without regrets; in the moment, it's harder to take the harder path.  In this case, it was finding someone else to visit instead of throwing in the towel for the night.  Other cases may be how I've regretted not trying to talk to someone, doing "work before play," or (pre-mission) putting down my video game controller.  Acting intentionally and without regrets is a good application of mindfulness.


Tuesday, September 19th, 2017:
I feel like our day didn't work for us as well as it could have.  A majority of our appointments cancelled on us.  However, we did manage to find a new investigator! And while we were doing service today, something bit or stung me four times in the leg.  The bites only hurt a little and disappeared within the hour, but I was shaken up. Chelsea's encounter with the black widow in our garden came to mind.  I didn't find out what bit me, but I'm still alive.

Hopefully soon, Elder Parnes and I should be studying more effectively together.  I tried to address transfer goals today in companionship study and Elder Parnes chose study as an area of improvement.

I heard that iOS 11 released today.  That should be fun.  The iPad will be able to have two apps active at once.

My hair is so long!  The sister who gives us haircuts couldn't do it this Monday but will do it next week.
I need a haircut
My goodness, I miss percussion.  While missing it is not distracting me, I'm certainly looking forward to it after I get home, however.

Cameron's baptismal record wasn't turned in, so we have to track that down now.


Wednesday, September 20th, 2017:
Elder Parnes and I tried to do a companionship study.  We haven't been practicing teaching, or role playing, so I tried to have us do that.  He insisted it wouldn't help him, as he's rarely gained things from them.  He feels it is a waste of time unless a specific issue comes up in a lesson that we need to address.  It's just not how he learns.

I feel that he needs the practice in teaching, as do I.  We don't teach as often in this area--this week it's picking up--so he could benefit from extra experience.  I tried to think of what we could do during companionship study: modified role plays?  Study together?  Elder Parnes wanted to do phone work in companionship study, in addition to reading the Missionary Handbook, sharing what we studied, and talking about what we are going to teach.

After thinking for a while--and as Elder Parnes texted people--I laid down.  I was in a bad humor.  This time, I could recognize exactly what it was: I felt powerless.  We couldn't seem to find; we didn't finish weekly planning most weeks, taking up a lot of time, and haven't been getting to the steps for planning finding.  I've been less obedient and diligent than I wanted to be -- granted, nothing major, but I fail to understand why not.  Finally having a companion where I don't argue and am not distracted (Elder Clayton), I thought I would do better.

I felt very accountable that all the areas in the zone were doing well enough to be divided in half except ours.  I know I was being too hard on myself at the time, but I felt sad being put into an area for a transfer and not having much change.  I felt like the same was true for a lot of my areas.  I know I lead in implementing Hastening the Work of Salvation, but sometimes working with ward leaders didn't go well and it feels ineffective for how it effects the area.

I explained this to Elder Parnes.  We had a lesson at 3:00 with Cameron, but I was in no condition to teach.  We asked Elder Sorensen to go ahead with the lesson and review the Restoration without us.

Elder Parnes read me an excerpt of what I think was his patriarchal blessing.  It mentioned relying on Jesus Christ for strength.  I thought of a conference talk--after getting back on my feet--and listened to it.  "Drawing the Power of Jesus Christ into our lives" from the most recent general conference. Listening to it helped me. We pull the power of Jesus Christ into our lives when our faith in Him motivates us to action.  We also pull His power into our lives by keeping covenants with precision.  Also, by reaching up to Him with a diligent, focused effort; it is mentally rigorous to think of Him in every thought.  We must deeply desire it. I'm glad I have trials as I try to follow God, because it is only because I have trials that I am able to follow Him and deeply, sincerely desire it.

​It was interesting to note that I wasn't sure if I wanted to be made to feel better or not because I wanted to understand why I was feeling this way (and thus resolve it), which is hard to do when I'm not feeling like that.  But with the idea that we draw Jesus Christ's power into our lives as our faith motivates us to action, it makes sense why I don't feel so down but instead  I'm lifted up. Then I can go and do things.

********

Some other things that happened:
  • A mini zone meeting.  The zone building was moved to the other end of the zone, so it's about 15 minutes away.
  • Early morning exercise at the church building.  I played tennis.
  • Updating to iOS 11 (and then getting a notification later in the day to not do so, as it may affect the Area Book planner).  Split view doesn't work on the iPad minis.
  • Elijah and Tara, new investigators who both stay with single moms over the weekend.
  • A meeting with the last of the three high councilors over missionary work.​
iOS 11 is incompatible with missionary work
Thursday, September 21st, 2017:
We joined Elders Opificius, Martin, Meer, and McKee for morning exercise.  It was soccer and basketball, which was not only fun but a real workout.

Weekly planning went fast, but we only had time for the first half.  Two reasons were that I went to family services and we had a 3:00 lesson to pick up a new investigator.  In family services, we talked in part about yesterday.  He told me, like anger or laziness or other emotions, "feeding" negative thoughts makes them more powerful.  My solution would be to just be aware of it, then go and do something else.

The new investigator--Justin--is part of the couple we helped move in when I was bitten.  It was an incredibly awkward lesson for me, as I thought--more assumed--that they felt compelled to have us over.  They were very nice to us. But I felt like their having us over felt like a kind of pressure on them to make a commitment. It also made me aware of my hesitation in OYMing people. I realized my reticence is based on the idea that pressuring people is bad. I also realized that the feeling I get when I assume someone doesn't want to talk to me is different than the feeling I get when we're in a lesson and we’re trying to push someone to do something for the wrong reasons.  So although the lesson was awkward, it taught me some things.

We accidentally bashed with a guy.  We didn’t intend to get into an argument and at the time I didn't realize we were arguing.  He had been rejected by his family for believing anti-Mormon materials and leaving the church, and was bitter about it.  He started to justify his actions and starting talking about things in the Book of Abraham. I should have recognized that he wasn't really open to what we were saying any more.  About an hour into our discussion, Elder Parnes recognized we were bashing and told him that God wants us to exercise faith for a reason. The man wasn't intending to bring any of this up when he let us in and was as surprised as we were to find the conversation where it was. I saw his hurt and sorrow at his family’s reaction, but got swept up in the moment of his attacks.  The poor man. He listened to the wrong voices, and the response from his LDS community helped to burn the bridge.


Friday, September 22nd, 2017:
We used exercise bands for morning workouts.  Elder Parnes showed me how.  I didn't even know my shoulders had some of those muscles that I used.

We started studies/planning a little early, which has proven to be good.  We also got most of weekly planning done.

We've used up a lot of miles on our car.  We haven't started biking again. Elder Parnes and I got into a skirmish about the car and getting rides from people versus driving ourselves. He says that he didn't trust most people's driving.  I ultimately had to trust that he had his reasons and back off. But this little disagreement was nowhere near close to arguments I’ve had with other companions.

District meeting has moved to a location farther away, taking more time to drive to.  It may be moved again soon. The training was on teaching simply.  A very good reminder.

I got a package from my parents; they sent earmuffs!  I lost my old ones a while ago, and the weather recently has turned colder.  It also rained much of this week.  Additionally, I cannot find my winter hat, gloves, scarf, or thermals.  They might be with the bag of clothes I had my parents pick up back in August. Fortunately, they left them at my sister’s house in Huntsville, so they can bring them back to the mission office.

We had two lessons tonight.  The first was a textbook lesson with Simeon, a new investigator.  It felt almost like we were practicing teaching.  He had very few things he disagreed on, which makes me think he might be okay with what we share but might unwilling to change.  He has only recently started exploring religion, though, so maybe he will listen and be baptized!

We taught Kiki, Gong, and Tina later.  We covered the Gospel of Jesus Christ, focusing on what faith is and how it leads to repentance, which caused something to click for Kiki.  She explained many things to her family members, including a five-minute conversation in Chinese.  Gong also spoke for longer than any time I've heard him speak before.  They aren't ready to jump into the font, but they took a big step forward.  We also learned more about them.  It's looking up for them.


Saturday, September 23rd, 2017:
I had an amazing time studying that morning.  I'm not really going to share about it, but it was on the Book of Mormon and how the Spirit influences missionary work.

Elder Parnes developed a migraine soon after planning this morning, so from then until about 1:00 pm we stayed in.  Fortunately, he was ready to go to the lesson we had scheduled with Andrea. Andrea was on a tight time schedule, so we had to rush with her compared to other lessons.  She likes to talk a lot and answer questions indirectly, which makes things very slow. This time, however, we were able to center down on understanding what she needed and how she felt.  I felt like she was a little pressured, but it proved to be valuable for what we learned from her.  Now that we finally know where she is at (we tried doing this two other lessons), we can help her better.

We had a lesson with Jim.  His wife was unable to make it.  It took a long time, but it gave him a lot of answers about the congregation and how the church is organized.  I stumbled over inviting him to be baptized, so I'll work on that in studies.

A WML met with us after dinner, but it wasn't what we hoped for because his kids were with him.  He does a lot for his calling, but he is often busy balancing work, family, and church.

Besides that, we tried a few people, set lessons up, wrote reports for lessons we've had, and texted or called some people.


Sunday, September 24th, 2017:
A stake we cover is holding an early morning mission prep class.  We joined them, then remained at the same building to attend three ward's sacrament meetings.  We hadn't been to those wards during this last transfer.  It's farewell season, so many of the sacrament meetings had visitors.

The bishop of the Highland View ward asked us to teach a fireside on preparing for a mission.  It was a great opportunity to talk to the youth and have them ask us questions.

Our area is looking up now.  We have 16 or so investigators, half of which we've found in the past week.  I'm figuring out how to work with so many people.  We need to get the wards more involved!
Out new and enlarged Holiday zone


No comments:

Post a Comment