Monday, September
4th, 2017:
Our p-day activity
was bowling. Elder Parnes and I got there earlier than everyone else, so
we started and continued on our own lane. We got through six games.
Most of our cleaning
was already done. Along with our normal shopping, we dropped by Rite Aid
and REI so Elder Parnes could get a few things.
Jeremy invited us
over for dinner. Elder Parnes started to feel really unwell at the end,
so Jeremy (a certified nurse) checked his blood pressure and heart, which both
showed irregularities. He consulted with Sister Balling.
We only visited
Marie, an investigator, this evening. She accepted the offer of a
blessing. I wasn't sure exactly what her situation was, but I could tell
that she too felt unwell.
Jeremy stayed with us
a little. We got food items Elder Parnes could take, given his present
condition.
Tuesday, September
5th, 2017:
Elder Parnes checked
in to the emergency room today. He talked it over with Sister
Balling. It wasn't a rush to get there, but he did need to go to the
hospital.
While he was there, I
went with Elders Opificius and Jones. In sorting out our schedule and
seeing what might happen with Elder Parnes, we got to a handful of
people. We spent a long time with one of their investigators, a girl with
depression who's dealt with suicidal thoughts, with a break for dinner in the
middle. She noted about pushing people away to protect them from being
hurt if she killed herself. We constantly testified to her and used many
scriptures to show that she could change and God did love her.
It put a lot of my
problems in perspective. I, as most people, can be prone to complaining
more that I should.
That evening, the
other elders didn't have lights (the batteries died on one of them while the
other used a different bike than his normal one), but I had flashlights in my
bag they could use. Prior preparation can be illuminating.
Elder Parnes didn't
spend that long in the hospital. He and Jeremy stayed at the apartment so
he could rest. He will be okay, it's just something he has to have
treated and go through.
Wednesday, September
6th, 2017:
Elder Parnes was on
bed rest again, so we didn't get out much.
I had another
appointment at family services. We talked (in part) about situations I
have trouble with in communication, like when someone speaks too quietly or
with young kids and babies. It can be hardest for me to know what to do
if I don't understand. That wasn't the only thing we talked about, but it
was a majority.
For most of the day,
I read "resolving concerns"--a PDF from the church historian that I
obtained in one of my previous areas. Some of the doctrine went deep, but
not so deep that I couldn't follow. Our dinner appointment brought by
food, so really I had a large block of time to read uninterrupted.
![]() |
| A snack I made: chopped apples with cinnamon baked in the oven on toast with peanut butter and crushed walnuts. |
There was a meeting
at the end of the night for East Mill Creek North stake. I feel like I may
have spoken unwisely--I didn't wait to first get a feel for what the wards had
been doing. I also may have tried to downplay Elder Parnes' health issues.
I don't like people to give a lot of attention to my issues if I can get past
them; it just doesn't do anything to help the reason why I'm here. I may
have folded Elder Parnes' issue into my preconceptions and tried to press past
it because of that. I feel like the WMLs may have disregarded us on the
missionary work side because we wanted to roll out new efforts without really
checking what they were doing or why the work was slower...there was just a
better way to go about things than I did and while I know it didn't do
permanent damage, it pained me. I'm still working to understand how better to
communicate.
Thursday, September
7th, 2017:
Elder Parnes was
feeling a little better today. We did some weekly planning, but mainly we
had a discussion on how to wisely coordinate with WMLs to guide ward missions
to greater activity. We settled on working through the high councilor
over missionary work.
Lunch today was with
the Sorensens. We also correlated. Elder Sorensen is a beekeeper,
like my brother-in-law; he showed us his hives. The bees were much calmer
than I expected.
We had another
meeting with a bishop and dinner with a WML. We're finally reaching out
to parts of our area that missionaries haven't been by in a long while.
After, we got to see
Tristyn. We think she doesn't actually want to be baptized, or doesn't
want to talk about it, right now. We'll talk with many people about it
later.
We went to Elder
Walker's after--he lives in our area--and got a car! Cool. I'm
mostly just relieved/glad for Elder Parnes. We were not given a mileage
limit; rather, we were told to be selective. Accordingly, we will still
bike once Elder Parnes is feeling up to it.
Friday, September
8th, 2017:
Elder Parnes got up
late today, but he's doing better. We conducted weekly planning with some
interruptions, finishing the portion regarding the people we're already working
with. I really would like to finish a weekly planning session this
transfer(!)
Zone meeting was on
prayer and the Spirit. It went along well with a letter I got from my mom
regarding meditation, paired with new masterpieces from artists Lily and
Rose. My mom’s grandparents sent me a card as well, which was thoughtful.
![]() |
| Holiday Zone |
We helped a couple
load a moving truck. They have an expansive book collection. My
arms!
There was a ward
tailgate party in the 12th ward. Andrea, Kiki, Gong, Tina, and Jim all
showed up, so we were able to see many of our investigators. A member of
the relief society presidency mentioned that they talked in a presidency
meeting about who had three-year-old children in the ward and decided to
contact the primary presidency to find playdate friends. That, more than
anything else tonight, caused me to smile. It's exactly what we want the
wards to be doing! I am so grateful.
Saturday, September
9th, 2017:
Things are rolling
with Elder Parnes now. Yay! We used our car when necessary today,
though. It was an exhausting day, as we had a lot of service this
afternoon. We helped the couple from yesterday move more and took down a
fence in another family's yard.
We may drop
Tristyn. I believe we should simply ask what her feelings are, then tell
her how we've been feeling. We talked to the WML about it.
Stake conference for
Canyon Rim took a good part of our night. They had a Q&A format based
on what the local leaders thought the stake needed. Elder Durham led the
discussion. We tried by a few people after, but no one was home.
Sunday, September
10th, 2017:
We weren't able to
take the sacrament today, because of stake conference. Canyon Rim had
their stake conference 7:00 AM-8:30 AM (youth session) and 10:00 AM-11:30
AM. We stuck around to plan for our day and talk to people after the
first session, then contacted a potential investigator and met with a ward
mission leader before lunch.
The YSA sisters have
been unable to contact Jilin, the investigator we passed off to them, so we
tried to stop by and found he had just returned from a trip.
Our stakes hold
things called "walk-abouts," a light sort of progressive dinner where
people can walk around the neighborhood and talk to everyone. There were
three tonight, but there was also a stake senior mission prep fireside that the
stake president wanted us to go to. We only had about 25 minutes at two
of the walk-abouts.
![]() |
| Elder Parnes riding past Hokulia's, the shaved ice shack we go to occasionally. |
The fireside itself
was a great time. Youth with about a year before they could potentially
go on missions were trained directly by the stake president on what they need
to do to prepare. We encouraged them to go on a mission, and that they
shouldn't be intimidated. I talked about how a mission is a wonderful
(albeit crazy) opportunity to grow and develop. Although I've grown past
many of the feelings and fears from the beginning of my mission, I still tried
to communicate some things they might not realize on their own. For example, I
talked about how a mission will give you according to your preparation, so the
more preparation you do, the better. This applies to things like working
to pay for a mission, or reading the scriptures (which I did do a lot, but
reading the scriptures while having a stronger testimony is a very different
experience). I poured out my feelings out to the youth, and hope that it
helped.



No comments:
Post a Comment