Monday, September 18, 2017

Week 63: Staying put in Canyon Rim


Week 63 Journal

Monday, September 11th, 2017:
During today’s p-day, O got a new bike helmet. The one I had from the mission office sort of fit, but it was old.  By swapping the Walmart gift card my grandparents sent me out with money from my mission account, I was able to buy a proper bike helmet from Highlander bikes.  This one works very well. Helmets are expensive. Even with the discount Highlander bikes gives missionaries, it was ~$50.  Better than a doctor's bill for head injuries, though.

Our p-day activity was a zone barbecue.  Everyone brought something to contribute to the lunch, which was burgers and hot dogs.  
Zone BBQ
We played with a variety of projectiles and, to my pleasant surprise, four square.  We had a lot of fun. We broke the ball after about an hour and a half, but I had found that ball in a missionary apartment so it was no great loss.  I could get another if I need to.
 We forgot about ping-pong with Jilin; we were at the zone BBQ from three to five.  Whoops.

After p-day, we started exchanges with Elder Opificius and Elder Jones.  I went with Elder Opificius this time.  Even though we started the exchanges tonight, we went to a service opportunity and split back for a lesson in their area and a meeting in ours, so we're really exchanging tomorrow.

After the meeting, we chanced by a potential investigator's house and saw lights on, so we stopped by to talk to her.  We met before.  Her dogs got out and things were going well until both of her dogs tensed up and started barking at something in the dark.  She chased them up the road and had to get them to back off from a skunk before they got sprayed.  It was intense and brought an end to the discussion.

In packing to go to the other elder's apartment, we got to ours at 9:00.  I decided to shower and get ready for bed before we drove over, not realizing we would leave at about 9:50.  Packing wouldn't take much less time for me, but still it was late.  In my mind, I didn't think 9:30 curfew applied as this was an unclear situation, but it became more apparent as the night moved on that I made a mistake.

There's been a lot of things that I have to be careful about.  In that sense, being out on my mission for much longer than my companion creates the responsibility to set a good example for Elder Parnes.  I haven't done as well as I wanted to. I’m aware of small things like noting what time we get in for lunch so we only take 30 minutes, or forgetting to let bishops know about blessings to members of their wards, or conducting a planning session skillfully. I hope to do better.

I should note I'm writing this a week later, Monday the 18th, as I prepare to send it out.  I'm using summaries I wrote on other nights.  I'll try to have a more reflectionary mood instead of factual reporting, not just now but in the future.  It's not that I haven't had time to write in my journal, but rather I haven't done it; using it in a better way will help me get more out of it, just like learning to read the scriptures on my mission in such a way that I'll be motivated to read them when I'm off my mission.


Tuesday, September 12th, 2017:
The exchanges continue.  We had a hard time planning all together, partially because we had to sort out dinner appointments.  Elder Parnes didn't know how he might feel by evening.  It was also weird for Elder Opificius and Elder Jones to plan for their area jointly but separately.  Elder Opificius noted it later and I explained that it was a good example of how we felt when planning most days.  We would talk on it more later when writing the exchange reports: we [well, mostly me talking to Elder Opificius as a sounding board for ideas] determined that planning was harder for me in this area because we're trying a newer and harder form of planning.  Instead of cold-contacting people, we're working through the members and wards to figure out the best way to approach each potential investigator.  Instead of drawing a line from A to B to C, we have to think about each of the people to visit and set more things up.

As I wrote this, I realized we shouldn't be afraid to go by and cold-contact people.  We should check if the ward is doing anything with them already, but we can still visit, bear testimony, and invite them to hear more. Regardless of the result, the ward could develop a relationship in the following time.  I'm still learning, as always.

We helped Jeremy pull weeds for a little while.  It was more to help him out as he helps us out so much instead of a missionary opportunity for referrals, yet Jeremy surprised me by saying he would point it out to his roommates and suggest the missionaries help them, too.

We visited a few people.  When I finally got myself to talk to someone, it turned out to be a member.  We helped her to clean up her yard and she told us to visit Roy. We were at Roy's for an hour.  We stood on his porch while he sat on his steps, telling us a scrambled life story.  He had a car he loved, a wife he didn't, a divorce, mountains, family members of sorts, and so on.  He didn't pause, so we didn't interrupt.

After contacting a potential investigator, we stopped by the neighbors.  It was a Tongan family; they gave us food.  Elder Opificius biked home more than a mile one-handed while he carried the plates of food.  It was impressive.

I saw how much I've grown during this exchange.  With Elder Opificius "running things," I was able to contribute as I could from my strengths.  Not knowing the area made it easier for me to see how I could help. I don't know how that factors in to me being with Elder Parnes.  I can worry a lot over things that aren't so worrisome.  It was a good lesson for me, I guess.

We took time to finish the exchange report and head back, so visiting Tristyn was all that we could do before going back in.


Wednesday, September 13th, 2017:
Our morning planning went the best it has this whole transfer.  I'm glad. We handled many tasks at the care center today, including texting family members and coordinating things.  We continued checking in with many others after we left the care center.  It didn't feel like we were doing as much as it would have felt like if we went to all of those people in person, but we got a lot accomplished.

We studied Alma 42 with one of our senior couples, the Sorensen’s.  I'm still trying to figure out how the link between changing ourselves to eventually be more holy (repentance) and activating forgiveness for past mistakes (mercy).  It's a question of why and how.

We found that one of our potential investigators actually likes to debate about religion, but she likes missionaries so she doesn't do that to them.  Or we didn't get involved in the lessons yet with her, so she hadn't debated with us.  She’s recently moved, and the member she was living with told us.  We weren't expecting that.

There was a youth meeting in one ward.  We demonstrated the first discussion.  It was powerful; I'm glad the youth could see it.

We also met with a bishop in the 15th ward.  I really hope the wards are beginning to trust missionaries more; it's hard to tell sometimes.


Thursday, September 14th, 2017:
Weekly planning produced plans I'm very confident in, but good planning takes time.  We had some interruptions as well, so we got only three or less hours of planning.

Apartment inspections were today and I'm happy to say we easily passed.  Sometimes I use cleaning as an outlet, which is handy.

We met a very clever man at dinner tonight.  He made dad jokes, but in a very witty deadpan manner.  It was a good reminder for me to not taking everything so seriously (meaning I take people literally too often).

Later in the day, we helped gather up pine needles from an older member's giant pine trees.  Some of the youth there were drifting away, so the WML got us and the YSA sisters involved to develop a connection with them in a relaxed atmosphere.

The next part of my journal is best shown by a conversation between me and my dad:

My mom asked: What gives you the greatest joy on your mission?

I replied with: Sleep

Haha, no.  There's a moment in the journal I'm going to send out where a high councilor says something like "I like this.  I understand my role and can see how I can help.  I'm really excited for this."  We were introducing Hastening the Work of Salvation to him, asking if he could work with the WMLs and guide them to get the whole ward involved.  He would know who is already doing what and how best to work with them, so it would be better if he determined what council to give and if he gave it.  This way, we could work with three high councilors instead of seventeen ward mission leaders.

It's not that I don't get excited for people committing to baptism.  This was just so wonderful.  I guess I get a lot of joy when I see people sincerely and eagerly involved in whatever role they have, whether it be Elder Moe trying as hard as he can to talk to everyone (even pulling the car to the side so he can briefly offer a Book of Mormon to people on the street), Rita [a recent convert in my last area] being very enthusiastic about the gospel and the light it brought to her life, my last area's stake president serving in such a loving way as to inspire us all to do better, Suaad clearly wanting the gospel in her life, or this high councilor being excited about working with us and the wards.

It was a wonderful way to end the day.


Friday, September 15th, 2017:
I had another appointment at family services today.  It was rather detailed.

Our weekly meeting with the Sorensens went long.  Our correlation was good, but both lunch and correlation took longer.  One thing I've been trying to figure out lately is why I wasn't so bothered by lunch running over and what I should do about it.  I know I was very wound up about obedience in the first part of my mission.  Mostly, that was good, but sometimes I clashed head-on with my companions about small things.  Now, I'm trying to get to know myself again and reform how I want to be in the future.  I still want to be obedient, but I don't want to cause strife to myself or others unnecessarily.

As I wrote this, I realize I should approach it like I did the scriptures: there will be a point in my life where I will not have as much of a reason to read the scriptures, so if I approach my scripture reading now in such a way that I'll learn to truly love them, I'll be better off later.  If I could find a way to apply obedience (and, similarly, motivation or acting for myself) in like fashion, I will be well set for life.

District meeting featured chapter 13 of PMG and roleplays where we had a role in the ward and an attribute that made us hard to work with.  President Hillier happened to be there, but he seemed to have fun with the role playing.

Our lesson with the Sus was good, but for some reason I felt like something was missing. We had dinner with a family of nine.  The three youngest boys were very active, the two daughters were helping as they could, the dog was still a puppy but pretty large, one son was at soccer, and their oldest was out on a mission.  Maybe I have more thinking to do before I say I want a large family.

The weather skipped over some of fall; it got colder.  Now, we're starting to use heat in the apartment; at the beginning of the transfer, we had the AC cranked up.  I'm happy with the cooler temperatures, but I do not want to rush into winter.

We finished the night by playing Apples to Apples with some ex-Mormon fundamentalist missionaries at Jeremy's house.  
Apples to Apples
It was odd, but it helped me gain more perspective.  We talked a little about doctrines, but it was curiosity and not bashing.  Jeremy wouldn't allow it; I think everyone was tired of it from other contacts, anyway.
After Apples to Apples

Saturday, September 16th, 2017:
Studies were nice this morning.  We finished weekly planning!  Yay!  It was only because our lessons cancelled on us.  We were left with so much free time that we almost ran out of people to visit.  Not that our area is slow, but we've visited most everyone and couldn't knock on their doors.

We had a long Subway lunch with Elders Opificius and Jones, and Jeremy. One of the workers was the sister of a less-active member we helped out; she gave us a discount. I don't know how to feel about it, mostly because I don't know if she is able to give discounts like that.

I wish we could go to and push the work forward, but I don't know how to do so as directly as I’d like. I don't like not knowing.

We helped a sister from West Valley pack up her Sentsi stand at a park.  We thought there was an ice cream social, but we got the wrong time and so both the vending event and the social had long since ended.  Still, we were glad to help.  She gave us "car bars" (fancy "little tree" car fresheners").  The way she talked about it, I'll look into selling Sentsi on the side when I'm in college.

Our conference tickets are almost sorted out; we need to determine who wants to go with us.  We'll be at the priesthood session.

Transfer calls almost didn't happen tonight, but they went out at 10:20 pm.  We're both staying where we are. Elder Jones and Sister Vutagwa are being transferred from the district.


Sunday, September 17th, 2017:
One stake held a mission prep kickoff breakfast this morning, which we gladly attended.  All the bishops were there, as was the stake president.  We didn't get to speak a lot, but we didn't need to; they handled it well and clearly cared about the youth.

We gave mini-talks in sacrament meeting.  One of the wards we went to two weeks ago invited us to speak today.
Our area Sunday schedule
Tristyn and her mother will often skirt around church.  It's not easy for either of them to go, yes, but it can be frustrating for us.  However, we sometimes act like we're herding them, which isn't very loving.  We do love them as we can, but sometimes it's hard to show love.

Another stake correlation came and went.  What surprised me is how I thought we didn't have much to report, but as we reported it added up.

We put Ewan on date for baptism.  He's the nine-year-old with Down's Syndrome who we are teaching.  Working with him has felt different than other people, but I did notice that he has a sense of humor.  Once I noticed it, things clicked into place and it became easier to work with him.

A half-Chinese family had us over tonight to have half-traditional Chinese food.  It's the best way I can think to describe it; it was more authentic than carry-out Chinese restaurants, but they told us it was pretty mild compared to most traditional food.  The family made for good company; their responses to our encouragements to do missionary work reaffirmed that most families do have something going on in missionary work, even if they aren't centered on it.

We visited others tonight.  We spent a while at Tristyn's; we set up a lesson for next time and hopefully will start being able to help her grow closer to Christ instead of being so fixated on baptism.

No comments:

Post a Comment