Monday, July 17th,
2017:
We switched up our
p-day; we studied, had breakfast, but didn't plan (that wasn't intended).
We shopped before going to a water balloon activity--we all got those fast
filling biodegradable water balloons and had 100 each--and it was pretty
fun. I thought, as I bought them, that they'd be perfect items for the
business student fair we'd have in high school as they would be very cheap
wholesale but a good price to the student body.
After that, we
emailed. We found a proper emailing location! I had my journal
already typed out, so it was wonderful.
We cleaned and ate
some chicken noodle soup before we planned at 6:00. It was easy enough to
tell that we weren't focused in our plans, but a storm was rolling
through. We weren't sure if we'd be on bike or on foot at that point.
We walked to a
meeting with a WML, during which the storm came and went. He's over the
single adult ward and very excited for missionary work, so after meeting a prospective
member of the Winder Single Adult ward (she's going to a family ward right
now), it was time for us to head in.
I got a lot of food
this p-day, so while I still hadn't set my second tire up with its lights or
polished my shoes, I feel pretty prepared.
Tuesday, July 18th,
2017:
There was an MLT
meeting this morning. MLT means Mission Leadership Training; leaders from
around the mission are invited to receive instruction on various topics. So
after an abbreviated morning schedule Elder Wagley went into the mission office
and I ventured out with the 7th WML. We visited only people in his ward
and gathered information on many of the potential investigators there. To
break the six or so hours, I then met up with Elder Wagstaff and visited mostly
people in his ward.
We got to meet with
two other local leaders as well tonight. The leadership around here is
very cooperative, which we can't be grateful enough for.
Some of the time was
spent waiting for Elder Wagley (well, waiting for the whole MLT to finish) or
the 1st WML (he was taking us to dinner).
By the way, pumpkin
curry is hard to beat. If you ever get the chance to try it, I would
recommend it.
Vahid and the sister
we worked with both failed to stop smoking. Vahid was getting sick, so he
smoked (they're not connected). The sister didn't understand that she
couldn't smoke during the week of the program--she thought she could just set
down cigarettes with no pain at the end of the week.
Vahid is very
nice. He gave me some squash from his garden. We may pick cherries
with him tomorrow, if he isn't sick.
Wednesday, July 19th,
2017:
Our planning went
entirely into companionship study today. I don't think we're supposed to
do that. We didn't even get to all our plans today, in like manner to most
days.
That being said, Elder
Wagley and I argued today. It boils down, now, to me learning trust
extends beyond small or unclear items of obedience. Really, it's
listening to the Spirit. But when I assume (or anyone else assumes) to
have a better perception of rules and obedience, it breaks trust. So
trust extends to the granting that something I thought to be disobedient as
obedient, and I'm just at a misunderstanding.
Granted, I will
always check. It is hard to explain beyond being able to assume your
companion is competent and obedient and understanding that it is very possible
to misunderstand rules.
Bleah. Why does
coming to understand people (and especially myself) have to be so hard?
There's going to be
an "un-warping" of rules soon. Our mission had a slow
alteration of rules over time, but the MLT yesterday may change things.
As a side note, one of those rules pertains to musical instruments. We
have a synth keyboard in our apartment that I had claim over already (just by
being here the longest). I now get to keep it but have to send it home.
I found a fidget
spinner on the road today. It was run over and thus beat up, but I fixed
it using the plier multitool I got. I really don't see a point to the
things.
We did a lot on the
phone. Missionary work goes so fast that writing down something doesn't
mean we'll get to it later at times. Combining that with how important
everything is in missionary work and having to coordinate with multiple parties
(making it hard) produces what can be a very overwhelming series of tasks.
The baptismal
arrangements are underway for Suaad and her kids. Yaaay!
Thursday, July 20th,
2017:
Elder Wagley told me
that he writes most of the positive things from the day in his journal without
the negative. I think I would be leaving mine incomplete if I did that.
Elder Wagley and I
argued today during the weekly planning session. Elder Wagley has
repeatedly told me I get too offended, but he asked me to not get into discussions
on anything as it gets him angry. It's really, really hard
for us to get along. The silver lining is I now think I just have to
submit to what Elder Walgey wants in order to get along.
Dinner was a good
time, and Suaad and her kids passed the interviews. Vahid is working to get off
everything. When we came by he was asleep on the floor. Chelsie, his
wife, talked to us at the door.
Friday, July 21st,
2017:
Splatoon 2 is out
today, and I realized that I’m long over it.
Today was an amazing
day. We finalized things for the baptismal service; it's all ready to go.
We found a phone on
the side of the road. It was broken into three pieces--back, body, and
battery--and its screen is broken. We're drying it out to see if we can
determine who the owner is.
I've been working on
OYM (Opening Your Mouth). We stopped to talk to a young adult named Ryan
and he became a new investigator as a result! He grew up in the church
but went through a few things and as a result isn't a member yet.
We visited the sister
we tried to help quit smoking. We found out more about her, including
that she didn't want to quit smoking.
District meeting
today was focused solely on the YSA areas that the other two companionships in
our district cover. One of them hasn't been doing so hot, but the other
has been doing so well that they gave advice. I took note in the case
that I serve in a YSA ward.
We also used the
mattresses that we had hauled over for a prior district meeting. Elder
McKee laid down with four mattresses on top of him while Elder Wagley talked
about the need for urgency and the weight of sin.
![]() |
| Mattresses after the object lesson |
Saturday, July 22nd,
2017:
Suaad was baptized
today, along with her two sons Mohammed and Abdul! It was wonderful. Suaad and
her kids are from Sudan. They moved from Sudan to Egypt. There, they attended
Christian churches, where they felt the spirit in greater abundance than ever
before.
They moved to the
United States. In Utah, Suaad met with Bishop Brand of the Winder West 11th
ward. She got a job at DI, where the many portraits of Jesus Christ led
to many of her spiritual experiences. One such example was when she was
about to go into the interview for her dental assistant's job: she felt the
Spirit testifying peace to her so strongly that she started crying. The
interview was easy for her.
I met Suaad and her
family with Elder Clayton. He saw Abdul or Mohammed on exchanges with
Elder Mau, who had baptized their father. Elder Mau recognized him and
talked, but missionaries didn't start teaching them for a bit. I know Suaad and
her sons were prepared to hear the gospel. They were ready; it was a
privilege to teach them.
We spent a large
chunk of the day getting the church ready and inviting our other investigators
to the baptismal service. While none of them came, 40-50 ward members
attended. It went wonderfully.
*****
I've been able to
cook more often and faster thanks to the dishwasher. I've been able to
throw dishes together, too. It's a nice outlet when I can.
Elder Wagley and I
argued today. One thing I did learn was that an argument can
be with just one angry person, so sometimes I shouldn't continue even if I'm
calm.
I thought I had lost
my name tag in the evening, but really I didn't put it on. It was at the
apartment. Whoops!
It was a slow
evening. People may be cheating at Bingo. It's nothing huge, but it's a
little upsetting.
Sunday, July 23rd,
2017:
We did an unfocused
planning session this morning. I really need to ask about Sunday
schedules. We went to the 11th ward for Suaad, Mohammed, and Abdul's
confirmations. The bishop performed them.
We met an
investigator thanks to the efforts of his friends. He didn't want to have
the missionaries at first, but after six months of fellowshipping he agreed to
meet with us.
There was a portion
of Sunday that we spent writing reports and talking on the phone. Better
planning could help.
We had a lesson with
a man we met a few weeks ago. His member girlfriend and another
non-member couple came with him. They didn't seem super interested,
though.
Elder Wagley and I
argued again. This time, I told him about a lot of my feelings. I’
hoping things might change from that.

No comments:
Post a Comment