Monday, July 3rd, 2017:
Our emailing has been a little mixed up right now. We don't know
where to go, as the elders who previously left the area didn't leave
any notes as to what they did for emailing on p-day. However, the
resto of our p-day went pretty well; the Wagstaffs were able to help
us in getting to a computer to use for p-day, doing our laundry, and
getting lunch. I loved their help, but sometimes I find it hard to
adequately express my gratitude to people.
Our activity was light painting, run by Elder Wagley. He uses his
camera to take long-exposure shots, creating a "painting" effect when
using lights in a dark room. We broke out to normal gym activities
after a few shots.
We passed out fliers in the 12th ward for their party tomorrow. I
have found difficulty in applying resources we're given, whether it be
fliers to ward events as a finding tool, using scriptures from
personal study in lessons, or changing something I do based on PMG and
meetings. Effective application is really something I should focus to
improve on, as we do a lot of things to improve in missionary work.
The zone leaders showed up to the activity with a lot of care
packages. My parents gave someone from my last area things to take to
me, as she was visiting Virginia. They were mostly bike accessories
and healthy snack foods. Thank you, mom and dad!
Tuesday, July 4th, 2017:
There were lots of breakfasts today. We met many people from the new
wards, but more importantly they got to see us. The timing of
transfers worked out favorably.
I've been hovering below 160 pounds at this point. Being in a
biking/walking area increases the calories I use daily. I've had to
eat more as a result, but I want to hold muscle by eating well.
We went on exchanges with the zone leaders soon after we could finish
studies. I went with Elder Moe, a missionary I've been serving around
for my whole mission. One thing I noticed that Elder Moe does is talk
to everyone; even when we were driving to pick Elder Wagley and Elder
McKee up and head to an appointment or other time-bound event, he
would try to say something quickly to people we passed in the parking
lot.
I don't feel like I'm being hard on myself. I've already reached a
year on my mission and there are some things I hoped to reach that I
haven't gotten to yet. I just have to push myself in the right
directions.
We didn't get to see any firework displays, but through the whole week
leading up to today people have been setting off fireworks. They're
almost trigger-happy, as 100-foot fireworks were legalized this year.
It's not just at night, either.
Wednesday, July 5th, 2017:
Quite a few things ran over time today, such as lunch with a
missionary mom. This is sister is a really sweet member, but I don't
know how to act with her. I'm still somewhat awkward at times.
I lack some confidence. I feel like we have been going so fast in
missionary work that we don't have time to pause and regroup. I say
"we" but I mean myself in general. I speak for my companions in that
it may be better for us to take a minute every so often to look at our
plans and make sure things are sorted out. There were a lot of
appointments this week we didn't confirm for and didn't practice for.
Working with Elder Wagley has been interesting. We are getting along,
thank goodness, but at the same time we still work at ends to each
other. That's not quite the right way to say it--what I mean is that
I feel off balance right now.
*****
Okay, I'm going to take a break from my weekly email and just stop to reflect.
Just earlier today (Monday, 7/10), I called President Hillier. The
reason I came out on my mission was to gain a testimony. I got a
testimony, so I thought the reason I would stay on my mission is my
testimony. But I've found that a testimony alone hasn't provided the
motivation I need to overcome fears in contacting people, pride in
companionships, or temptations to not write in my journal...
In my call with President Hillier, he told me it was natural to go
through a "mid-mission crisis." I would need to find ways to motivate
myself to do missionary work.
There were a lot of things that I feel like are out of my control that
shouldn't be. Or, that I feel like shouldn't be out of my control.
It's hard to describe how I feel.
As for the rest of my week, here are a few notable things:
Some of the wards had breakfast on Saturday instead of on Tuesday, so
we had another round of breakfasts.
I felt unwell on Friday; I threw up. It was a one-and-done thing, so
it didn't throw our plans off badly.
We haven't finished weekly planning and I don't know if we intend to.
We are very busy. I want to finish weekly planning but we are very
busy.
I got another set of care packages on Friday; there were shirts from
my family and some drawings from the Slades.
We had interviews with President Hillier on Thursday. I talked to him
about how I've felt, but it was different than how I feel now. He
recommended focusing on gratitude.
Suaad and her family are back on date for the 22nd and they came to
church this Sunday, so they're close!
Zone meeting was on the worth of a soul. I have to review my notes,
but I remember it was a good training.
The highs for this week were in the 100s, but it rained on Saturday in
the evening. It's still supposed to be hot this upcoming week, but
we'll survive.
Sent from my mission
No comments:
Post a Comment