Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Week 73: Thanksgiving


Monday, November 20th, 2017:
We had a long lesson with Martin. As a result, we were late to the zone activity (nerf wars), which I had hoped would help me blow off some steam. Most other missionaries were already done nerfing, we had two small rounds and called it quits.

Some members helped us do our laundry, which really helped, because wen we had two lessons scheduled during our preparation time.  Then Staci cancelled at the last minute. We also talked to three other investigators, then dropped them from our teaching pool when they indicated that they were not ready for the gospel.

Tuesday, November 21st, 2017:
We had basketball this morning.  It's the fourth time overall and the second time I didn't wear myself out.  It was pretty enjoyable.

I completely spaced an appointment with family services this morning.  It was earlier than most other times in terms of day of the week, which caught me off guard.  I rescheduled for next week.

Our afternoon was occupied with calling people, writing reports, organizing referrals, or working on letters.  One finding idea we took on was to write all of the missionaries who were serving from our area.  I had a copy of the primary program for one ward, so I sent physical letters to each of the eight missionaries serving.  Elder Heyward worked on emails.  I didn't know international stamps were a thing until I went to the post office to send the letters.

Our evening was interesting.  We tried to find Mason, a newer investigator, at mutual, but didn't find anyone at the church.  We assumed they didn't have mutual this week.

The real highlight was finding that Tristyn and Staci were still home--their Thanksgiving trip to Las Vegas fell through.  After a jumble of sorting things out, we talked with just Staci, as Tristyn was asleep on the couch.


Wednesday, November 22nd, 2017:
Our morning was just calling, reporting, sorting, emailing, or texting.  I laid down for a nap during lunch, but didn't get up with my watch alarm.  I never really fell asleep, but I stayed in bed a while; I ignored my alarm.  Elder Heyward came into the room and made more calls.  He had been suggesting I ask Dr. Jackson or Kyle for some permission to get a bit more sleep, so I know he let me sleep.

We met a man who works in the church translation department.  He told us a lot about the translation for the scriptures into other languages.  He administers over the sacred works--scriptures, temples, and hymns.  It was a great dinner appointment.

We contacted Tania and connected into her goals for the future.  It's amazing how she simultaneously has come so far but has so far to go. The first steps of returning to activity are as long as the rest of the journey.

We got a good number of people tonight, but everyone said that they were not interested. I've wondered how people could say they aren't interested if they themselves haven't understood the part of the gospel that would bring them joy, or understood the gospel correctly. Actually, I know why they say they aren't interested, but it still bothers me. I've been around enough people and areas to see that anyone, regardless of demographic or backstory, could receive the gospel and have joy in it.


Thursday, November 23rd, 2017:
Basketball, weekly planning, then Thanksgiving dinner.  That was our whole day.  Thanksgiving dinners started at 1:00. It was at the Swensens. We made gingerbread houses. He worked in mission assignments, which was fascinating to hear about.  We also visited several other families and investigators.


Friday, November 24th, 2017:
Slow morning.  Correlations, a District meeting on the new media library app. It’s not easy to browse, so it’s really for presenting media only.

We also discussed how, in Contacting, it’s easier when we are able to see potential for positive effects. For example, I recently felt a greater desire to preach the gospel at an investigator’s house. At the District meeting, it was emphasized that we as missionaries are just trying to find the very prepared.  We should focus on those who are prepared and willing, dropping people who are not, and avoid less-productive activities.

We got a handout for doing missionary work via Facebook.  We set up our accounts.


Saturday, November 25th, 2017:
We continued to set up our Facebook accounts.

We did splits. Elder Heyward went to a baptism in another area. I went with a ward mission leader and visited a half-Tongan family that recently had moved in. We shared the gospel of Jesus Christ and having faith. I think our messaged helped the husband really look up and become more determined to change his life.  

Our dinner appointment got cancelled, so we ate pizza with the WML and helped him in putting up his Christmas lights. We then visited with a couple of other families, one of which had two less-active sons, both gamers.  We were able to connect to them pretty well. It was great.


Sunday, November 26th, 2017:
I kept notes of my thoughts during today’s several sacrament meetings in another notebook. I’ll have to transfer them later to this journal.

I thought about how sometimes I feel depressed. I’m taking it day to day. I feel better about today. I sense the feeling that even though there will be bad days, I will end up stronger and able to face it better.  Gradually, it will get better.

It helps when I connect most directly to the work. I can get easily frustrated with things that aren't very relevant to doing missionary work and helping people, such as a lack of good planning, unproductive meetings, etc.

Had a lot of meetings in the evening. Warm night!  65 degrees.

I should visit my great aunt.  A ward librarian was from Holland; I mentioned the some of my relatives lived nearby but I haven't tried to see them.  She said I should go by.


Monday, November 27th, 2017:
It started off warm this morning, then the temperature dropped all day.  By the end of the day, it felt more like the beginning of winter than of fall.

I finally saw Dr. Jackson.  My eye is fine.  I found out it was acting up in a normal reaction to dryness, usually from being outdoors a lot. Also, my toes have had nails that split oddly down the middle, but he told me they would be fine.  He showed me another way to trim my nails so they wouldn't be susceptible to problems.  My hip, which has been acting up lately, is a little more of a mystery, but that's only because I wasn't able to tell if it was the muscle or leg in the joint.  It should be fine; I just need to stretch more.

We are going to the temple tomorrow (Tuesday); our p-day was moved to then.  I forgot to tell my family last week.

It was really hard to stay focused this afternoon.  We didn't have many plans to set out.  While we have a description of the things we need to do written in our iPads, it was really tempting to not do anything.  I think we did a pretty good job, given the circumstances.  We are trying to plan better to make more productive days, which would make planning easier in the future.

We taught Martin, then visited a single sister. We helped with her tree lights; a member who came with us to Martin also visited the single sister with us and was able to connect with her, and they talked a while.

Staci's ex-husband, Tristyn's dad, is in the hospital.  Staci called us while we were visiting the single sister.  He had to get his spleen removed, his blood wasn't clotting, and he has a low chance of surviving. We visited Staci and Tristyn in the evening. We gave them the portion of pumpkin soup I had in the freezer along with some of our Thanksgiving rolls, a pie, and bread I had made.

We visited Elijah and his grandma; we aren't sure but the grandmother seemed less happy to see us this time.

Simeon cancelled our lessons.  We dropped by got by and shared #LightTheWorld, which we have been eagerly sharing with everyone.  Speaking of which, you should go look it up if you're reading this!  https://www.mormon.o/?cid=HP_FR_24-11-2017_dMIS_fMORG_xLIDyL1-A_






No comments:

Post a Comment