Monday, October 23rd, 2017:
The
couple who used to do our laundry brought us to the laundromat this
morning. We got laundry done 8-10, shopping by 11, lunch and cleaning
to 12:15, and emailing to 2:30 before the zone activity. I pushed at
the zone activity, which left me tired for the night but not so much
that I couldn't work.
We're
going on a double-header exchange with Elders Opificius and Martin
tonight through Wednesday night. We moved two lessons and a meeting to
clear the schedule.
In
the exchanges, Elder Martin and I talked as we walked to the North part
of their area. We tried to tract, talk to people on the street, and
find more contacts; we were moderately successful.
Tuesday, October 24th, 2017:
Finishing the exchange with Elder Martin, we walked the same route twice (reps split between lunch).
Elder
Martin is from Georgia. He realized he didn't have a firm testimony
when he got out in to the mission field, which made it hard for him, but
he's since sorted things out. The rest of his family served missions;
they didn't pressure him, but he felt pressure to go. He loves
psychology.
With
Elder Opificius, I focused--or wanted to focus--on having solid
contacts. As I meet people, I don't always (or often) consider things
like setting return appointments, getting contact information, leaving
something behind for them to study before we visit them again, asking
for anyone they know who needs help, or so on. In actually visiting
people, we only got to one person in the evening. The mother we talked
to is in a part-member family; her daughter was supposed to leave today
for the MTC but, finding a (likely benign) brain tumor, she did not.
They were handling it well, but it was odd to have us happen in the day
she was supposed to leave.
I
feel like I've reached a different point of growth in my mission. Or
perhaps that I'm better able to see the growth I've already had.
I don't know what this next transfer will bring, but it feels like a blind corner--unpredictable.
I
feel (in part) that I'm becoming more comfortable with how I'm doing. I
don't want to stop improving, though! [there's more thought to that
last sentence than just a thoughtless exclamation, by the way]
Wednesday, October 25th, 2017:
Both
mornings on exchanges, we played at the gym for morning workouts. It's
good exercise, but I feel like I get frustrated sometimes.
Elder
Opificius and I only got to a few people between the morning and lunch
and between lunch and ending exchanges. They accounted for us being on
bikes for exchanges, but because someone gave us a ride and how that
worked out, we didn't bring out bikes.
One
person we talked to pointed us to a new move-in. That person was happy
to see us to tell us she and her family were not interested. She was
blunt to rudeness about it, but she must have realized how she was
acting because she apologized. But she got stuck in half apologizing
for being rude and half making it clear she wasn't interested by not
giving us the time of day... it was just odd. She finally and
gratefully shut the door.
Yesterday,
I happened to meet one of two sisters who created Sentsy. She gave us
some of her products. Her husband is the WML for one of the other
elders' wards. I got her business card. I'm almost certainly going to
sell Sentsy for a while during college.
In
talking to Elder Opificius at the conclusion of the exchange, I delved
into what may be keeping me from being a better missionary but didn't
come up with anything solid. I would love to get a grasp on
myself--getting a clearer view of what I could do and how I am
doing--again soon.
I
put up a curtain liner I found on clearance at Walmart and added one of
the Sentsy scent disks to the bathroom so it'll smell better. Our
apartment is looking nicer now.
We got to a trunk-or-treat after dinner, but Elder Parnes couldn't walk very far for a good reason so we had to turn in early.
Thursday, October 26th, 2017:
I
went to family services this morning. I talked to Kyle about feeling
like I couldn't think straight. He suggested it was externally
generated, as it began about a month ago (I only noticed it about a week
ago). He hypothesized sleep deprivation caused it and told me a few
things to get better sleep.
The
other thing I took away from it was that my Aspberger's makes it hard
to emotionally connect to things. So I'm working on emotionally
connecting to myself, which sounds really cheesy but makes sense in
therapy.
I
had a really good review of what goals I have during personal study,
but it turned into a personal summary of counselling. I also organized
my study journal; I think I found a system that works and I'm happy
about it.
We
tried to do weekly planning after, but it went nowhere, fast. I
eventually broke down in what I would describe as mental consumption as I
tried to figure out what I wanted a weekly planning session to do and
why I haven't been so successful at it ("I" because it's been consistent
across companions. I needed to understand something that I currently
did not.). Much later (and after what I would consider a private and
spiritual experience), we had dinner (our appointment dropped it off
last night, as they were at the temple tonight and had a mix up). I
then hacked weekly planning and we finished the majority of it in an
hour, finishing by two hours.
[By "hacked" I mean it wasn't because something clicked, but I was just able to do better at it. It's a long story.]
We then finished the night with a correlation, the only other thing we did that day.
Friday, October 27th, 2017:
Our
morning schedule wasn't picture perfect--as our planning and studies
weren't properly hedged into proper time allotments--yet I feel better
about this morning because our delays were due to things more outside my
control, such as interruptions.
Correlations
were good, but we didn't have much to report. UEA (fall break in Utah)
was this weekend; we had few lessons. That will be our focus moving
forward.
District meeting reflected on the mission tour. I want to reflect more on that now, as I'm not yet grasping its core.
I
got a package sent jointly (?) from my sister and my parents. It had
Halloween candy and papercraft pumpkins. I am so grateful that they
think of me often.
There were four Halloween parties tonight among our wards, so we went to two before catching a lesson with Kiki, Gong, and Tina.
Another
reason I'm glad we prepared well in companionship study is because of
that lesson. Gong asked a question about the second coming--fair
enough, given that we read the introduction, which mentions it at the
end--but we were able to steer it back to our plan of receiving answers
from God.
We
went by Elijah and Tara's grandparents tonight, the first time after
their grandmother opened up. She hugged us as a greeting and as a
goodbye. It is humbling to have someone let you in to a level of deep
trust like that.
A pizza guy came by our door at about 10:00. Our apartment building often gets confused with one just down the street.
Saturday, October 28th, 2017:
We
dropped Marie today! We also almost dropped Tristyn; when we went by,
we explained how we thought our visits were harming her because some
people gave her special attention as an investigator, which translated
to pressure. She seemed fine; Staci said she [Staci] was hurt (but not
by us--it was a hard day/time for her and we didn't help things). Staci
texted us ten minutes later asked us to come back; Tristyn wanted a
blessing. We talked to Tristyn and she said she did want to meet
with us--that the pressure wasn't too bad--and so we have to think on
it now. They said they would be honest about why they are cancelling
appointments or not keeping commitments in the future.
After,
we helped Tristyn's ward (the 15th ward) set up for a Halloween party,
left to visit a family for dinner, and came back for an hour during the
actual party.
After
the party, we went to contact people. At one door, we met a returned
missionary whose dad was currently practicing in a rock band. The band
featured a member, a Jew, and an Atheist (all 50+). They asked us if we
could sing or play drums, so we played a little (neither one of us are
very skilled, so it didn't last long). The member sang a hymn with me.
It was a pretty comical situation, but it was a good way to meet the
other band members.
Transfer calls came tonight; as most everyone predicted, Elder Parnes is being transferred while I'm staying.
Sunday, October 29th, 2017:
There
was no mission prep class this morning, so we planned out more of our
day and had a good start. We got to four wards that we haven't been by
in a while, which was really nice. After three sacrament meetings--one
of which was a primary program--the fourth ward we attended had a
combine third hour for almost the whole ward (everyone 12+). Two family
communications majors discussed the nature of relationships, which I
enjoyed. They noted how we often reach out in a "bid for affection," a
subconscious "squeezing of the hand" when a person shares opinions
seeking for validation, which struck me. There were a few other things
in their presentation that also stood out.
After
dinner, we picked up a young adult named Lilo and brought him with us
to a lesson. The assistants to the president asked us last night to
have him come with us; all the 16-18 year-old youth from that stake went
with missionaries to see how teaching a lesson would be like. The
appointment we had didn't really work out, as the mom (Heather) was sick
and the son (Matt) was absent, but we still read with the daughter on
the porch for about half an hour. She, Emily, was excited to read the
Book of Mormon whereas before she didn't understand what it was and thus
wasn't very interested in reading it. Hopefully that was a practical
example of missionary work, not just teaching.
We
spent most of the evening (7:40 on) finishing Cameron's baptismal
form. While we did not know his form hadn't been submitted for a long
time, we did not do a good job of getting it finished quickly. However,
it is now done [Monday afternoon]. The open permission from President
Hillier to call anyone in the mission we needed to, which we obtained
when we dropped Lilo off, helped a lot.
Actually,
we spent a large portion of our evening catching up on records as
things carried out with Cameron's form. We had a few referrals to
straighten out in a ward and a good amount of information to add or
update in our area book. It's all tucked away now. I don't love
spending time creating records instead of proselyting, but I do know
it's vital to have good records. Plus, it feels rewarding to have
things sorted out.
Having
everything in area book, it's reassuring to see that we have a healthy
number of new people to visit. I'm trying to think of how I could be
less self-centered in thinking that, but really the core of it is it can
be hard to want to offer help to which no one accepts.
The mind is really interesting, but also really complicated.
Elder
Parnes and I nearly got in a fight tonight. It wasn't heated, it
didn't build up, but it was fast. It was a different sort of anger or
conflict; it felt different. We've had that a few times before, but it
always fades just as quickly as it comes. Still, I feel like ever since
I've been with Elder Wagley I have had a bit of a temper or am faster
to act rashly.
[For example: When we were helping to set up for the Halloween party yesterday, I tried to figure out how to position the tables to fit everyone comfortably. Some of the other people helping set up decided to start setting out chairs, which made it really hard to move the tables. I was complaining in a passive-aggressive manner, saying things like "I don't know who decided to put out the chairs already, but..." Elder Parnes told me we had to go; I said I know, sharply.]
I'm not blaming Elder Wagley. Maybe I'm more prone to noticing it now--
s
ometimes, as I grow I tend to notice things I could work on that I previously didn't notice.
I can get that confused with regression.
I'm honestly just scared that I will fail to be better at handling my anger or that it's getting worse or something.
My
worst fear is my weaknesses. I am afraid when I feel like I have not
improved, especially in my areas of weakness, especially when I have
cause to believe I am becoming worse.
That
is when I may find myself in darkness, surrounded by shame, regret,
hopelessness, frustration, anger, misery, or any other of a host of
sensations.
However,
I don't want anyone to worry for me. I am growing and I know I am
becoming better. I am learning, climbing. Know that I am fine. Part
of it is because I know that I can do anything through the atonement and
grace of Jesus Christ. Another part is because I'm pretty rational; I
can hold on stubbornly to the knowledge and perspective that can be hid
in the moment.
Your prayers and your thoughts do help. I appreciate those. Please just don't be troubled. I'm in God's hands.
No comments:
Post a Comment