Monday, April 10, 2017

Week 40: 9 months!


Week 40 Journal

Monday, April 3rd, 2017:
I just wanted to note I've gotten a lot of emails.  Thank you. I’ve read every one I've received, but responding to them has been a lot harder.  I'm trying to do what I can.  I don't have a lot of free time at all, though, so thank you for understanding. In an effort to catch up, I might not respond to every single email people have sent me.  I'll try to stay on the ball this time, but don't expect as deep a response. I love the spiritual thoughts people give me, especially Uncle Art, and hearing updates on your lives is always great.

P-Day! Each of us ended up sleeping in for 1.5 hours But we got everything done! We played tennis for p-day.  It was so fun! We then visited around the WasatcC Hills ward.  Elder Gudmundsen got a speaker from the member who works for Skull candy. He gave me another set of headphones!  It was a good night.  Also, we got in on time.  Yay!

My grammar and spelling have taken hits from my journal.  I'm going to focus more on it and try to write slower.  I'm normally so busy on a mission that I don't have too much time to think about it, though.


Tuesday, April 4th, 2017:
This was a good morning.  After getting up and having breakfast, I joined Elder Gudmundsen for his morning workout.  Having completed my normal routine of walking up and down the stairs, push-ups, and curl-ups, I hadn't reached 30 minutes.  So Elder Gudmundsen show me how to lift weights.  While it was difficult, it also felt good.  I tried to do bench presses and nearly fell off the bench; all we have are 35 pound hand weights and it’s a lot harder than with a bar; I found it hard to do one rep.  I will work from push-ups.  As it stands, I can do the other exercises Elder Gudmundsen showed me.  I'm glad I have a more productive way to exercise.

~Later~

Soon after companionship study, we got in an argument.  Same old, same old: the topic actually wasn't so important, the resolution would take too long to explain here, and really I was just being prideful.  Still, I'm trying hard to avoid future arguments when necessary.

We then traveled down to Midvale to contact a referral.  It's Elder Gudmundsen's old area; we stopped by a member's fridge (in his carport).  He lets the missionaries come by and grab drinks whenever they are around.

Before that, we held a language study that went very well for me.  I mainly focused on "cat" versus "dog" and other words that have a -| or |- stroke combination.

As we returned to our area, Elder Gudmundsen got a mini-migraine.  Not fun at all.

Dinner was with the sisters.  The new sister is Sister Simpson, one of the first sisters I served around.  She had cut and straightened her hair so she looked different.  One other referral later, we headed off to English class, again staying with the students. This time it was very well-attended.  
English class was really full this week; it's the most anyone had ever seen.
 We checked in at basketball to end off the night.

Whew!  Things are going better.  I'm still hoping to get along better with Elder Gudmundsen.  Even still, I've matured/grown/improved in many ways on my mission so I know I'm doing well.


Wednesday, April 5th, 2017:
We joined the sisters for language study today.  Sister Simpson wants to learn.  She was in a Korean-speaking area before she came here.  Hopefully I helped her--we reviewed Pinyin and tones--as the basics are the hardest to do alone.

Our stake meeting was stellar.  In re-adjusting the roles of the elders and sisters, the meeting became a group discussion.  Everyone was able to contribute and we all took tasks to accomplish.  The meeting was most specifically about getting everyone on the same page with our meetings with the ward mission leaders.  Everyone will attend a bi-weekly meeting for each ward.  I'm hopeful for the prospects.

We joined Elder Gudmundsen's former senior couple for lunch today.  He was able to fill them in on questions they had regarding the old area.

I checked in to family services for a follow-up appointment.  Brother Oswald taught me about mindfulness, which is being aware of emotions and attaining self-mastery.  Neither of us thought additional appointments were needed.  

Our area book app updated!  We now have a new type of event.  This wouldn't mean much to anyone at home.  Basically, it lets us plan and keep records a little better.

The couple that had us over for dinner tonight has a semi-serious goal to visit the highest (natural) point in each state.  We talked about creating our own spiritual high points, even when in a spiritual valley (the metaphor is most complete when considering that Florida's highest point is only 300-something above sea level).  It was a pleasant discussion.

After dinner, we helped Josh find a piece of pipe under his house.  He's a less-active member we've been trying to get to return to church.  He didn't really know why he stopped going; all he needed was someone to ask so he would consider it. So if you're reading this, go do your home or visiting teaching.  God works through small acts sometimes. Josh lives right by the member who works for Skull Candy, so we dropped by him to ask about the speakers.  He ended up giving us earbuds.  He's so generous!


Thursday, April 6th, 2017:
Wait, I'm at 9 months.  What?

We had the district leader and his companion over for studies.  I got a good refresher on leading by example from our companionship study.

I've gotten good at instant exercise: getting out of bed and doing a short exercise so I stay awake.

After studies, we had some confusion over dinner.  Two families thought they were having us over tonight.  We would find out later that one family signed up for just the sisters, not knowing that the elders have a second list.  I sorted it our while Elder Gudmundsen had lunch.

Language study is going very well for me.  I'm (very slowly) expanding my vocabulary.  Chinese is fascinating; I've learned that cat and dog have the same first part of a character in Simplified but not Traditional.  Cat changes while dog is the same.  It turns out that the radical [a base part of the character, like "turn" in return] in cat means "animal," but more specifically it means "dog-sized animal."  Some other dog-sized animals' characters share this radical.  Just like with cat, they are all changed to match dog's in Simplified. Also, my favorite Chinese word so far is cat--"mao" (high tone).
My attempt at writing Chinese: on a Pass Along card. it says, "Hello!  We are missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  Is there a good time we may come back?"
 We had a little different weekly planning; we scheduled/cleaned up our meetings with the ward mission leaders.  It took a while but hopefully it'll be worth it.

Brother Wheeler asked us to copy files onto a flash drive for him.  I don't think he knows how.  At the same time, he is the most involved member I've ever met.  We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and even writing this two days later I'm still turning that principle over in my head.

Also, I realized Brother Wheeler is pretty similar to me.  He had a solid personal perception of what should happen (like what ward councils should do) and he is bothered when others don't align in that.  I think I'm the same way.  I also had the idea occur to me that maybe "exact obedience" is being obedient to the spirit of the law.  It would make sense with what President Hillier said--we cannot interpret the law, ordinances, principles, or commandments, but we interpret the application--and would help me accept things that would otherwise become points of arguments.  Above all, I must be driven by my purpose.

After dinner (which was at Ruth's Cafe, a restaurant at Emigration Canyon's mouth and a landmark of sorts for that community) we had two meetings and visited a few people we're trying to work with.  The meetings had a great feeling; we are all so engaged in the work that we have a good group vibe.  It was absent when the sisters were working in solely Chinese.  A similar feeling is in our companionship, which is good.


Friday, April 7th, 2017:
We had a pretty long comp study.  We talked about calling people by their last names, especially investigators.  I'm still working on the whole getting along thing. Don't get me wrong--it has gotten better.  On a very related note, I'm temporarily wearing my ring again to help me be mindful.  It can be hard to remember in the moment (when I most need it), but now any time I think of or notice my ring I have re-enforced the habit of self-evaluating.

Our zone meeting centered on finding.  I hope to get better at being able to talk to people.  In some ways, I feel like I'm out-of-touch with "being a missionary" sometimes.  But I don't worry myself with it.

Elder Gudmundsen got a headache after we changed at home.  We were inside until dinner.  I hope he can get better.  It seems like he hasn't had the best luck with health.  By the way, his knee has a torn ligament--he's still wearing the brace and taking it easy--so he has a while to wait before it's fully healed.

I got two letters, one from Chelsea and one from my mom.  Both had talks or other materials about stress and mental health.  My journal from last was intense, I must admit, as well as the one before that, so they were sending me stuff in response. Thank you!

For dinner, the sister in the Emigration Canyon ward who organizes the meals took us out to Blue Plate Diner near 21st South & 21st East. It was the first time for all of us, but we had heard good reviews of it.  I had eggs benedict with spinach, avocado, and mushrooms. It was the oddest thing I've had on my mission.

We finished weekly planning!  It took all evening.  We set up appointments with various ward leaders or families with priest-age young men.  Elder Gudmundsen tanked through it.  I couldn't focus by the end either.


Saturday, April 8th, 2017:
We helped a member who was moving We had previously helped her pack; this time we helped her load. It took from 9-12, following which we did studies.

Elder Gudmundsen got another headache.  I let him nap; I'm creating my journal from little summaries I keep on post-it notes if I run out of time.  It's 4:40 right now.  Abraham and Jack will have us over for dinner later tonight. I hope Elder Gudmundsen will be all right.  I can't do much to help him right now.  On talking to him later, he said it was most likely due to his allergies.  It should clear up in a few weeks. Elder Gudmundsen misses home.  But that's an indicator of the level of sacrifice a mission is to him.  That occurred to me as I wrote. We spent the rest of the evening with Jack and Abraham.  They cooked good stir fry for us, we had a lesson on the Law of Chastity and the Word of Wisdom, and finished with a game of basketball.


Sunday, April 9th, 2017:
Josh went to church today!  I'm excited.  If he keeps this up, it will lead him to sort out everything.  No investigators came to church, but this felt like one of my best Sundays.

The Chinese ward had their ward conference today, so we went to their ward council.  Every ward council has a different style, but most all are very productive.

I finally remembered to give fast offerings.  I'd forgotten for a few months. Speaking of which, I didn't bear my testimony in the first sessions because it was fast Sunday for most wards.  However, the Chinese ward had their fast Sunday before conference.  It's the first month I haven't born my testimony as a missionary.

We visited a family whose son got a mission call to Louisiana.  We gave him lots of advice, so while we missed the majority of a ward's singing of Handel's Messiah, it was worth it to help prep a new missionary.

At the singing, a member told me he found my name tag.  I lost it when helping someone move a few days ago.  I'm glad I got it back; it's a hassle to replace and it was my original MTC magnetic name tag.

I've been thinking about the restaurant idea that I had and realized that maybe a safer route would be to open a video game store.  The draw to it would be a respectable rewards/loyalty program and letting anyone demo any game in-store.  Outside food and hanging out with friends would be encouraged.  By positioning it near high schools, colleges, and popular restaurants of those demographics, it might work out well enough.  I don't want to be crazy rich, just do something I would love. Focusing on "spoiling" the customer fills both.
A truck for a business. The guy said that I upload it to social media, I can get my iPad waterproofed for free.  I have to see if it's okay, though.
Also, I have a care package idea that I imagine would be especially fun: take some free time and go hunting for cheap ties.  At the very most, $5; more ideally around $1.  Just make sure they in good condition and mission appropriate (they could be worn by most anyone at church).  But go to thrift stores, DI, Goodwill, yard sales, garage sales, and have fun doing it!  We missionaries like to swap ties; it’s one of the few ways we can express some personality. Thank you!
Sign at a member's house

 
Spring sprung--the tree has blossoms--but winter wasn't quite done yet!  There are fallen branches all around Salt Lake.  The buds and flowers might be mostly dead now.  Spring was going to be great...

No comments:

Post a Comment