Thursday, April 27, 2017

Week 42: Some things I've learned from my companion

Garrett’s sent his journal today (Wednesday April 27) with this note: “Sorry, I guess I accidentally sent this to myself!  I got permission to send this today.  Here you go!”

Week 42 Journal

April 17th, 2017 (Monday):
Today was rushed.  We had a hiking activity, but we needed to be there by 1:00 pm to meet up with everyone.  At shopping, I got very few food items--Cereal and yogurt, as we have many leftovers--but I also picked up a cheap boomerang on impulse because I wanted to learn how to throw one.  Unfortunately, I didn't know boomerangs are "left-handed" or "right-handed" (I’m a lefty, and most boomerangs are for rightys).  I still could work out the principles of throwing it, though. Then we did emailing, and didn't have enough time before the hike to get our cleaning done. It's funny how I measure how packed our p-day was by whether we get all our cleaning done.

In the afternoon, our District hiked from near the top of Emigration Canyon Road west to Perkin's Peak. It’s a pyramid-shaped mountain on the ridge between Emigration Canyon and Parley’s Canyon and is about 7500 feet in elevation. It's more than an eight miles round trip, four or more hours, and not beginner friendly.  There were shrubs at the end were I got scraped up. I got sunburned, and had two cramps near the end of the hike. The first one was very gradual in the inside front of my thigh. I stopped, rested, and prayed, and the cramp went away. The second cramp was sudden and in both legs on the back of my calves.  That was more of a pain because my legs had seized up unexpectedly and hurt badly.  I paused, prayed again, and the cramps went away. Both times, the cramps dissipated faster than when I had them on other times before my mission and I didn’t pray about it. At least it didn't feel like such a long and agonizing time.  Prayer is a cool thing.

Now, I'm convinced that belief has two components to it.  My recovery could be scientifically explained as a "mind over matter" incident or as a manifestation of God's power.  My point is, however, that the effect was real. 
 
A few Sundays ago I heard a talk with the following quote:

“Let's just say for a minute, hypothetical, that our religion is all wrong.  That even though there are so many strong-willed, intelligent and intellectual people in its pews and in its ranks, assume that we have all been duped, and the greatest hoax in the history of mankind has been pulled off by a man from New York.  Even if that was true, the life that the gospel it provides me, and has provided for my family, along with even the slightest hope of what it potentially offers me, is better than anything else out there in the world.  True happiness can never be offered by man.”

I’m unfazed by attacks of "evidence," "facts," and "reasoning," on the church or its leaders. Even if the attack is based upon facts (X church leader said or did Y thing).  So what? I’m unfazed because of this assurance I've developed through prayer.  All that being said, I know the gospel is true. So yes, prayer is a pretty cool thing.

*****

On our way home from the hike, we dropped by the Bierman's to see Joseph, but he was not there. His host family offered us an impromptu dinner, which we gladly accepted.  Following which, we took Elders Evans, Vernon, and Sulzen back to their apartment, then went home, showered, changed, then went out to teach a young man going on a mission in five months. He already had talked to so many relatives and friends so he didn't have a lot of questions for us, however.

April 18th, 2017 (Tuesday):
We woke up feeling the after-effects of the hike. In particular, Elder Gudmundsen’s knee was hurting and his allergies were acting up.  We eventually got to studies, headed to our Stake meeting at 11:00, had lunch and studies, helped someone pack for a move, and finished studies by dinner.

A funny thing happened regarding dinner: each week, a different ward in our stake is asked to feed us dinner on Sunday, and Tuesday through Friday.  Last Wednesday, our ward mission leader texted us a schedule with no one signed up for this Tuesday (today) and Friday.  The next day--last Thursday--he sent us an updated schedule for Wednesday onward (someone signed up for Friday), so we figured no one signed up for this night.  At 4:30 pm, the ward mission leader texted us to find out why we had not confirmed tonight’s DA (dinner appointment).  The family had had called him.  We soon figured out that our phone had not received the first part of the updated schedule.  We let the sisters know we would not be joining them for dinner, and we headed over to the DA.  While it all worked out, our ward mission leader might be mad at us because he doesn't yet know about the technological glitch.

We slipped in a correlation meeting for a different ward before English class started.  It forced us to be brief, but that may have been a good thing because we were to the point. English class was good, but when we dropped by the stake center we found a lot of young women sitting and talking on the stage in the gym instead of the expected basketball night with investigators.  Eventually we synced and headed home.

Some things I've learned from Elder Gudmundsen include:

Caring less about what other people think.  I've been good at caring about what God thinks, but I really should only care if God cares.  God wants me to care about what my parents, friends, and people I meet think, so I should care about that.  But when I start worrying about what other people think and think things are "bad" when God would actually be fine with it, I don't do myself good.

In submitting to authority and the rules, we should definitely submit to the rules and proper authorities over us.  But there will be times we must make our own choices to accomplish a job we've been asked to accomplish.

I've chided other missionaries because I thought they weren't being considerate of others. This relates to not caring about what people think. I was trying to draw a line between being polite and caring too much about judgment.  Realizing that I just need to listen to what God cares about helped not only me in what actions I would do, but also what actions I would consider okay for others.

I also chided Elder Gudmundsen because I thought he wasn't thinking of his purpose.  For example, we need to look for opportunities to teach people that result from service and on occasion I didn't think he had done that the way I thought was appropriate.

Closely related to that, I should be more trusting and take a less extreme route in judgment.  Sometimes I skip to an assumption when I shouldn't.  Remember to beware of pride, and be mindful.


April 19th, 2017 (Wednesday):
Wait, it's Wednesday already? Have you ever tried to swim to the bottom of a pool but kept floating up?  That's like me, trying to not go through "time warps." Where does the week go?

We changed our study order again, this time with much better results.  We offered service to a few people and emailed Brother Wheeler the dinner calendar.  We then finished studies, lunch, and worked on the Wasatch Hills' prospective elders list until dinner, when we were supposed to eat with some of the prospective elders. There wasn't a man at dinner, but fortunately a young man from the neighborhood was able to join us on short notice.

Elder Gudmundsen wasn't feeling his best--spiritually--as he is dealing with some things.  Keeping it at that, the only thing we did was hold a lesson at 8:30.  Elder Gudmundsen was able to square his shoulders and do the work, for which we're both glad.  The lesson went really well. We taught Corey, who previously had only met with Elder Bach because his prior lessons were while I was on exchanges.  In any case, we talked about his career path and moved into his feelings on church.  It was a very comfortable environment for Corey, and I believe it helped Elder Gudmundsen.


April 20th, 2017 (Thursday):
4/20. Hahaha I remember what I was doing exactly one year ago.  I was watching a Minecraft livestream where some people pranked the guy I was watching by turning his tower into a giant bong.  Wow.  Time flies.

Elder Gudmundsen was out for the count today.  His head hurt.  We did nothing from 10:00-4:45.  He talked to Dr. Jackson about it.  Elder Gudmundsen napped and I cleaned, caught up on my cards, made lunch for the both of us, and so on.  I'm learning patience. It was nice to catch up in a way.  Our house is very clean now.

By the way, I'm almost out of notecards!  I still have stamps, pocky, and breath-mints.  Also, as I was tidying Elder Gudmundsen's things I found a wood cube that looks just like Snafooz.  That brought back a lot of memories.

I haven't been doing meditation daily, but I've been pretty good at being mindful.  I should get to that.

At dinner, I tried a wasabi-ginger burger at a restaurant.  The wasabi and ginger were pretty mild, though.

We were going to have two meetings, but the zone leaders had to go to the hospital so we had to give another set of elders a ride.  I don't really know the elder who had the emergency, but I hope he'll be okay.

As a side note, we got an unreasonable amount of bread (30 loaves) secondhand from a bakery.  We'll pass out the loaves tomorrow.

The other ward mission leader cancelled meeting, so we did weekly planning for the night.  Elder Gudmundsen had a hard time, though.  He's going through the thick of allergies right now, so really I can just try to support him.


April 21st, 2017 (Friday):
I fell asleep again at around 7:30 am and woke up at 9:00 am.  Oops! We then had a weird hour where we didn't do anything from 10-11 am, because Elder Gudmundsen also got up late and was getting ready. So it wasn't our finest morning.

Our day made up for it.  We got kolaches (imagine a pasty but in the shape of a large dumpling.  Elder Gudmundsen has them in Michigan) for lunch, using a coupon we got from a Smith's receipt.  They are pretty good, especially from the Jupiter Doughnut Factory-style bakery right next to the meetinghouse we go to for district meetings.  The bakery makes batches in the morning and usually sell out by noon, at which point they close.

District meeting was on feeling the Spirit and the importance of the Spirit in missionary work.  While I don't think I learned anything groundbreaking, I hadn't studied that chapter in a while and a review was helpful.  Plus, district meeting is a time to receive revelation, so I should focus on it in my area this week.

After that we went on exchanges.  Based on district meeting, we (Elder McKee–our district leader–and I) talked about being prayerful.  Or, rather, Elder McKee taught me about it. Prayerfulness is relying upon Christ to guide one’s efforts and for the strength or ability to do what is asked.  Specific prayers can encourage more specific answers, so part of applying prayerfulness is to go into an activity with a specific purpose in mind and a prayer in heart for guidance.

Also, Elder McKee helped me realize being accountable can/should be a positive time or recognizing the efforts I have put forward and may include asking God to make my efforts enough to bless another person.  I had really only looked at it as seeing what I still had to do to accomplish goals, and in that sense I had missed the other half.

Another thing I learned: peeled potato + cheese grater = hash browns.  I didn't ever think of that.

We had quite the lesson with a woman I've seen before on exchanges to this area.  She talked about her feelings that God didn't love her, she couldn't be forgiven, that she had been abandoned, and so on.  It was powerful on both sides--a lot of light and a lot of darkness.  We had an 18 year old priest with us who is just about to turn in his mission papers; I think it was good for him.

The rest of the night was at the stake high councilor over missionary work's house.  The other elders have set up a class in their stake around the missionary lessons; they coordinated the whole time.


April 22nd, 2017 (Saturday):
We finished exchanges at around lunchtime.  Before that, we finished studies and did a lot of service.  First was helping the member who works for Skull candy in his yard.  Second was helping out Highland High School with a service day under the sponsored slogan "Comcast cares."  We got to visit "the H rock" (a giant rock with an H painted on it located above Foothill Drive around 1700 South) and weed around it.  It's the high school's version of "Y mountain" or "U mountain".

I felt like we wasted time at the service event, however.  While I'm very glad we have things to do and the service itself wasn't a waste of time, we spent a lot of time doing nothing. The service was divided into many groups doing different things, and we finished at different times then were told to wait for everyone else to finish their things. After everyone was done, they served pizza in the cafeteria. Once we gathered, we realized about half of the missionaries in the mission were at the event, and it became an impromptu reunion. Everyone talked for a long time.

I probably wouldn't have minded as much if our dinner wasn't half an hour away.  By the time we finished the exchange report (describing what we learned on exchanges) and got to our apartment to change, we were behind schedule.  It was almost laughable that we discovered we lost the key to our apartment.  A frantic search later and we found the key by the other elders' apartment.

We got to dinner late, but it all worked out.  I write about what happened but I’m not still bothered about it.  I was bothered at the time, but I've learned to move on well enough.

The father of the family who had us over for dinner owns a video game store.  He gave me a lot of good advice and an idea of how it would be to run one. I now realize that I don't know if a game store would work out; basically, there is a very small profit margin on games because companies will sell them to dealers for $45-$50 (retail $60) and gamers now don't buy from stores as much as download at home.  Consoles depend on how many you can buy--bulk does well--so little stores can't compete.  His store is focused on other things like magic and Pokémon trading card games out of necessity because he can’t make enough money just on video games.

After dinner, we returned to have a lesson with Abraham and Jack on part of the plan of salvation.  It went well.  Afterwards, we played basketball for about fifteen minutes.  I had been watching the clock and hoped we would leave right at 8:50.  Abraham accidentally elbowed me in the face right at 8:50, at which point I told Elder Gudmundsen that we needed to go.  Elder Gudmundsen protested, wanting to finish the game, but I told him that I didn't want to argue this.  I think Abraham thought I was mad at him when really I was frustrated at Elder Gudmundsen.  It wasn't good for me to react the way I did.  I'm trying to be a better companion, and unfortunately this isn't it for this week.

I have sorted out everything for Mr. Mac.  They are very flexible, so I'll be able to go next Monday and *finally* get all my clothes tailored!  Yay.


April 23rd, 2017 (Sunday):
We had a very late start today.  Elder Gudmundsen is fighting his allergies every day now, it seems.  While he was down, I worked more on a homemade scripture case for one of the people we're teaching.

We went to the Emigration Canyon ward for sacrament; their service had good talks and a beautiful musical number that two senior sisters had played last night at a funeral.

We ventured to the Chinese ward for second and third hour.  There's a young man there who we know struggles with his testimony, so we're going to try to help as we can.  Directly following the third hour was a correlation meeting; it was supposed to be with all the ward missionaries in the Chinese ward but none of them could make it so it was just like any other week for us.

Our dinner was with the Fredricks.  Brother Fredrick is the ward mission leader for the Indian Hills ward. He has 10 siblings who all live within a ten mile radius.  Their parents are converts and have a total of 65 grandkids.  Everyone is active in the church.  The dinner was one grandson's homecoming and most of the Fredricks extended family was there (not to mention a good number of the maternal side of the family!).  It was like going to heaven.  Everyone knew each other and everyone had the "Mormon glow."

We stayed too long at dinner--a half hour too long.  I talked to Elder Gudmundsen about it and we ended up talking for a while.  He extended the conversation and talked more than he normally does, which was great.  From it, I'm going to try to:

1.     Accept that it is not my job to make my companion understand.  I can only make sure he heard what I said and leave it at that.
2.     Accept that my companion will do what he will do.  I have to be kind and forgiving, especially because I sometimes perceive faults when there are none.
3.     Be mindful.  When I act without thinking, I (along with most people) usually act out of pride.

After that, it was 8:30.  It takes 10 minutes to drive to our English stake, so we weren't sure if we should go out.  Just then, Brother Wheeler called and asked us to email him the dinner calendars, so we walked to a nearby church building to send it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment