Thursday, March 16, 2017

Week 36: Things are clicking!


March 6th, 2017:
Today was rushed.  Lots to do. For P-day, I bought a few things: a wok (for less than five dollars!), a few ties, and a very basic nerf gun.  Our P-day activity was a nerf war.  It was pretty fun, although I'll probably return the gun.  And one of the ties.  Not the wok, though.  :)

After P-day, we spent about an extra hour at home instead of getting out the door to work.  That's absolutely not okay. I know we'll do better in the future, but right now I'm hoping to change soon.


March 7th, 2017:
We did service for all afternoon today!  While it took lots of time, it felt nice to look back and see all the work we had done.  It was helping a woman pack away her many china sets.  On the one hand, she was very particular about it, but on the other hand we could see she cared a lot for them.  Also, her health problems were such that near the end she started wilting.  That's the only way to describe it; she wilted akin to a flower.  It caused me to reflect on many things.

I've realized I really shouldn't have a nerf gun.  Elder Gudmundsen and I were talking about modifying the gun to shoot more powerfully when I very clearly pictured Elder Leterneau when he said "What are you doing?!  We are representatives of Jesus Christ!"  I'm hoping I can return the nerf gun; I kept the original packaging for the sake of what I guess was the Spirit telling me not get it.

A few side notes:
- We went on a run for morning exercise.  It was a nice change of pace from my normal morning workouts.
- Brother Wheeler has a seemingly endless supply of cookies for us to give out to people, which helps motivate the inactive people that we are trying to contact to not be too mad at us.


March 8th, 2017:
We worked a lot today!  It felt great.  We've been going through a list of prospective elders for a while, aided by Brother Wheeler's cookies.  We've found a person who may come back to church.  However, tonight the only thing of note was one house where a man started yelling.  It wasn't loud, but it was very intense, almost like he was about to come charging through the door at us.  We left quickly.

While on my mission, I haven't had many unusual foods so far. I've had a few dishes of note: taco soup, all sorts of non-lettuce salads, hot pot, a giant pot of various meats, onions, and peppers (it’s a Hispanic dish I can't remember the name of, beyond that it starts with "m"), and sushi.  Before my mission I didn't ever really think of what foods that other cultures have that makes them different from how I was raised.

One big thing I've noticed is how Elder Gudmundsen and I "click."  We're not perfect, but I think I grew a lot from working with Elder Bach and Elder Leterneau so I can work better with most anyone.  Part of it might be because we're both senior companions; I think I've started trusting my companions more (not needed them to explain every action to me).  We can both just work and get it done.

We drove into Emigration Canyon for Elder Gudmundsen's first time on his mission.  He had fished there with his parents before he went into the MTC.  Up there, we met a man who had lived in Fairfax Virginia (my home county), and Midvale, Michigan (Elder Gudmundsen's home town).  Small world.


March 9th, 2017:
We talked about obedience today.  We reached a greater mutual understanding through our discussion, mostly just talking and listening.

We got our car's oil changed today.  The mechanics that the mission works with run the car through a regular checkup any time we go, so it took about an hour--8:30-9:30.

We had to push our studies back for that, so with weekly planning taking the lion's share of the day we didn't get to anyone.  But we finished it, and we'll get faster by the end of the transfer.

Elder Gudmundsen and I are getting along well, so it looks like this transfer will be smooth.  Yay~


March 10th, 2017:
I had a really good study session today.  The essence of it was really understanding the priesthood as the sacred mantle it is.  A side note from it was opening my mouth and being bold.

We had a zone meeting today.  For lunch beforehand, I prepared a sushi roll and chocolate mango shake.  They were pretty good.  The zone meeting was on goals and how to achieve better.  It's a hard skill to master--pushing your limits is always hard--but it's more than worth it.

I got a care package from my dad!  Among other things, it had a package of Kodiak Power Cakes and walnuts.  It was amazing--we were going to get that on p-day but he beat us to it!  Thank you, dad!

Soon after, we had a lesson with Rick and Dauri.  We had planned to be very direct with them, but we ended up being inviting.  It echoed our original plan in some ways, such as assuring Rick we wanted baptism to be his choice, but it was a very different yet fitting mood.

Tonight, we visited a few more people in the Wasatch Hills ward.  One was probably anti-Mormon, but we u-turned conversationally.  Or, we just didn't get into it.  But on his porch were the LARGEST SET OF WIND CHIMES I have ever seen!  He let me move it; they sounded somewhat like a vibraphone's pentomic scale (try playing the black notes on a piano).  It was wonderful because I love large wind chimes and we ended the conversation on a good note.


March 11th, 2017:
Someone went through our car again.  The door was open; many things were thrown on the floor.  This time my sunglasses were stolen, along with a few of the snacks in the side door.  Last time, the waterproof case to my umbrella was stolen.  Just the case, not even the umbrella.  Fortuitously, I had my wallet inside and Elder Gudmundsen had his Leatherman and flashlight inside.  Nothing stolen was valuable, but it was annoying.  I'm particular to polarized, wrap-around, well-fitting sunglasses.  While the pair I had was cheap, I liked them.  It's okay though, I've found I don't really need sunglasses anyway--less things for me to carry.

I'm happy--the weather is nice, the work is great--so that's good!

I've met the most interesting people on my mission.  Or, I meet people in the most interesting fashion on a mission.  We have a unique relationship, especially in Utah; we go around seeking to help people as spiritual ministers (or whatever way they may need help).  We'll glean knowledge of an area better in two weeks than most other people gain in two years of residence.

~Later~

We were late getting in--we are required to get in by 9:30 if we're teaching a lesson, but we got in at 9:45--and we ended up debating an interesting question: if we, due to our lack of skill (planning), have to choose between two commandments (testifying of Christ or getting in on time--because the lesson wasn't compact enough and we started late, we would have cut the lesson abruptly to get in on time), is it still a sin?  A transgression?  Obviously, we hope to do better in the future, but if it's our best, is it wrong?  As I pondered this, I remembered God gives us no commandment save we have a way to fulfill it.  This time, I had felt that we should review our plan a few minutes before the lesson, but I decided to keep practicing piano instead.


March 12th, 2017:
Daylight savings time was last night.  Whew!  That was hard.  Honestly, we ended up sleeping in.  I don't think I’ve ever slept through my alarm before. Same with Elder Gudmundsen. I accidentally took two Concerta pills instead of one this morning.  I had small panic episode, called the mission nurse, and she assured me that there wouldn't be any horrible side effects from it. Any side effects would be resolved by the next day.  I think that's the first time I ever took a double dose in my life.  I guess I wasn’t awake yet.

One lesson we went to at one of our multiple Sunday meetings was on repentance.  The teacher asked a very good question: "Who here wants to feel better about anything? That's what the Atonement is for." That helped me see how wide the Atonement covers.  That's one thing I've noticed on my mission; I've learned repentance is not a bad thing!  It's like a doctor for a sick person.  This question was a great summary of that principle.

We gave talks in the Palmer Court Ward today.  I gave mine on hope and, as I usually do, spoke from the heart, not a page.  I think it went well enough.  I don't know why, but I speak the best when giving a talk or training (or, on rare occasions, when I'm bearing testimony).


March 13th, 2017:
The no-p-day-Monday!  We are going to the temple this Thursday, so our p-day has been moved to Thursday.  We had a normal day's schedule, but after studies we had a weird hour where we didn't get much done.  We prepped for lunch by making food, used the bathroom, and... I couldn't really tell you.  However, it reinforced to me the importance of taking initiative.  I suspect we were both waiting for the other person to do something.

We had our weekly meeting with the Paul’s, Brother Wheeler, and the sisters today, as zone conference is tomorrow.  However, Sister Paul was not there.  The sisters cited that for a reason to not come, but Sister Cushman told us that the real reason was that, in their opinion, the past two meetings had been such an ineffective use of their time that they didn't want to come to this one. They said that they had nothing to report for "the cookie list," which had dominated the past two meetings, so why come?  Well, as bound to happen, things didn't end well.  Not fun, but I recognized that it wasn't up to me to try mediating.  Hopefully it resolves soon.

Elder Gudmundsen and I talked--a LOT--but the most important thing we sorted out was this: I probably don't get along with my companions because I assume a black-and-white answer to every problem.  Not every answer is spelled out in the missionary handbook, so we have to sort it out as companions.  I thought there was a very well-set "right and wrong" line that God wants us to find as companions, but Elder Gudmundsen asserts that some issues let us choose where to draw our own personal lines and still be in God's standards. Elder Gudmundsen believes that in those areas where there is not a black and white written rule, we should consider what is the right thing to do individually. There's no "correct" place to draw the line between right and wrong.  I'm thinking this over in my mind; while I'm okay with compromising, I don't want to compromise my standards. To me, it's all very complex. 

Elder Paul took us out for lunch.  It was a good time, but we had to end abruptly because we had stayed out for over an hour, and we were supposed to have used only 30 minutes.  We stayed longer than we should have to avoid any bad feelings with Elder Paul.  It wasn't a great situation.  Doing the right can be hard.

For dinner, a family was planning to have us over on Thursday--our unusual p-day.  We forgot to get that information to the ward's mission leader before everyone signed up, but the family had us pick up food tonight instead.  It was very nice of them; they both work difficult schedules, but they still helped us out.  I love the members.  They're so generous and kind in their aid.

By the way, small guilt trip/reminder to those reading back home--have you done your home or visiting teaching this month yet?  We try to ask that at every dinner appointment we go to.

Elder Gudmundsen's knee was not its best tonight, despite not proselyting in the afternoon, so we ended up staying in.


March 14th, 2017:
Happy pi-day!  I forgot about it until someone wished me a happy pi-day.

Zone conference was today.  It was on the Atonement and how we constantly improve using it.  It really wasn't something I grasped before my mission.  The conference took us almost all the way to dinner. After that, we visited a few people before heading over to English class.  We then finished off the night by helping a family move a desk.  We didn't get to too many people, but we still worked.  We have to start finding more people (we covered it in zone conference) so tomorrow will be busy and hopefully fruitful.

Also, I got a package from Kirsten and Jason!  I think it was for my birthday.  Regardless, thank you, Kirsten and Jason, for the jaw breakers.  Especially the one that may last until I get home.


March 15th, 2017:
I had a ton of energy this morning.  No idea why.  Actually, I think it's because sometimes I get really motivated to go and talk to people.  I did about five short roleplays on contacting people in the street because of it.

~Later~

We were doing weekly planning and things weren't going very well.  I was frustrated, sad, tired, etc. As I reflected about why I was having these problems, I thought on my Aspberger's Syndrome.  The phrase came to me very strongly that "I wouldn't trade who I am for anything." That is a powerful thought.

~Later~

We didn't get to many people today at all, as Elder Gudmundsen's knees were out again.  We ended up doing service with some of the young men later in the day, though, but that wiped him out for the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment