Monday, February 13, 2017

Week 32 Journal: Chinese New Year

February 6th, 2017:
We had a pretty fun p-day today! From emailing, I learned that Spencer (who I almost referred to as "Elder Spencer") is not taking any Fitbit-like thing with him on the Appalachian Trail, so I will let Elder Bates keep the one I got instead (he got a steal, as Elder Bach wanted the special USB one, so I let Elder Bates have the other one for what I paid for it, meaning he only paid $16 for a $130 watch!).

After emailing, we went to Dan's Market, a smaller SLC grocery store chain.  We think it's generally more expensive than Walmart, but we don't know for sure.  I got Juanita's chips, a brand that tastes like it was fresh from an authentic Mexican Resturant right out of the bag.  I also found sushi rice, necessary to make Onigiri, and secured dried seaweed, and spam (which Elder Leterneau said I should add to the Origiri)Looking at all the ingredients, I don't think you could have gotten me to touch Onigiri as a kid.

I found my grocery cart to be very healthy.  I'm grateful I've found a good eating lifestyle.  I got milk, bananas, a mini-melon, grapefruit, rice, seaweed, spam, chips (okay, well…), multigrain bread, and eggs.

Speaking of food, we've been building up such a good cushion of food that I haven't had to use my basic foods like rice, beans, or potatoes much at all.  That's been great, except our apartment had been smelling strange lately.  Elder Bach determined the cause when he picked up a bag of potatoes and revealed a puddle and an extra-strong dose of the horrific door.  Needless to say, they're in the trash can now.

We went to Uptown Cheapskate after groceries.  I found a decent pair of Kuru running shoes for $24.  My tennis shoes were completely out of grip.  While I'll keep my old shoes for yard work shoes, I noticed with the new shoes how wonderful traction is when playing sports. 

Our exercise this day was ping-pong, but it was at a building that happened to have a Spikeball net.  Now, you might remember way back to the MTC when I wrote about Spikeball, but Elder Letereneau knows how to play.  It was such a wonderful time that I may buy a net of my own next week (I'll think about it).


February 7th, 2017:
Before anything else, I don't think I ever knew "February" was spelled like that.  I looked it up to be sure. Now that I've thought about it so much, I think I messed myself up and can only say it "Feb-roo" now.  Oh well.  After "shi," "zi," "lun," and other Pinyin madness, "Feb-roo-air-ee" is a peace of cake.

*****

We had language study with the sisters today.  It was more productive than it has been recently; sometimes it seems we've given up on learning Chinese.  Or, rather, we aren't as motivated.  I speak of the group--I still want to learn Chinese.

By the way, Danny–good luck on your mission call to Taiwan!  I'm pretty jealous that you get to really learn Chinese with instructors and materials and everything, instead of just being thrown into like some other missionaries are. ;)

After studies, we went to the mission office.  President Hillier requested that Elder Bach come in to the office today, most likely to discuss if Elder Bach will go home early due to his health struggles. Elder Bach looked pretty unsettled after the meeting, but he hasn't talked about it yet and I'm not about to badger him for details.

It didn't help that Elder Bach accidentally scraped the side of the car port soon after the accident.  We only knew about it when one of the senior missionaries inspected the car and noticed a fairly large spot of white paint on the front bumper.  The car repair place was able to buff it out when Elder Walker took it in for an estimate, but he informed us that it counted as a preventable accident.  Normally, missionaries lose their driving privileges after two preventable accidents.  While the car port scrape was minor enough that Elder Bach got to keep his driving priviledges, Elder Walker made me the designated driver.

It's been a while since I've driven in a city (Evanston doesn't count). Maybe I'm out of practice, but now that I'm driving, it seem like Salt Lake City has crazy traffic!  I thought I would be used to it, but city driving is a lot different than being passenger.  I'm confident enough to drive, but it's like Tyson's Corner all over again. It's important that I learn the area.

Right now, it's Tuesday night and we are at basketball, but a tournament just started up among the stake's wards.  We can't play in a game if it's going to get competitive.  I appreciate the time to write my journal. Plus, Abraham and Jack (two of our investigators) are here, so it's an even better use of time as far as missionary work is concerned.


February 8th, 2017:
We finally used up our Red Robin gift cards!  We had gone so many times, but people keep paying for us and we couldn't use them up.  Not that I'm complaining! People are so nice to the missionaries! 

Speaking of food, my dad sent me an Itto's sushi groupon for $20.  We're going to use it on Saturday.  Have I mentioned I love sushi?

Elder Leterneau's knees were really bad today.  We didn't get to visit many people today between that & Elder Bach's emotional state.


February 9th, 2017:
Elder Bach had another meeting with President Hillier today.  It's almost certain that he's going home at the end of this transfer. He's figuring out how to deal with it. Since I'm in a threesome, that means that both of my companions are going home early for medical reasons at the same time. President Hillier told me that I may stay in the area after transfers.  Elder Bach told me that the area might be whitewashed, meaning that I'd be transferred. But I think I'm staying.

I took a little "me" time and cleaned my study area.  It's so neat now!  It brings a small increase of sanity.

I plan to really throw myself into Chinese now.  I don't think I can even hold a conversation anytime soon, but I can learn what I can.

The weather has been very favorable!  It really helped my mood.  I wore a short sleeve shirt for a good portion of this week.  That being said, I'm not too excited for summer, since I like cooler temperatures.


February 10th, 2017:
I think Elder Bach has calmed down on going home and I've calmed down on driving.  He still has to make peace with it and I still have to learn the area, but we're over the initial shock.

I got a five pack of chopsticks from my family!  They are imitation ivory (aka plastic) with the classic waves painting.  Thank you mom and dad! I love chopsticks.

I managed to do my exercise routine today.  It felt great; I had been too sore the past few days to do it.

After district meeting, we went to a lesson with an investigator family.  Elder Bach shared his story of his journey with cancer, and how it strengthened him spiritually. He never shared his full story with me or anyone else in my presence before. The spirit was so strong!  And yet our investigator family still hesitated! The dad's got a block to work through, though.

After that, we went to dinner.  Sometimes our dinners can be hard, especially if the conversation doesn't pick up well.  However, tonight was pretty relaxed.

The rest of the night was a wonderful Chinese New Year party by the 6th ward. Good food.  Elder Leterneau and I got to help parade the dragon around (see the photo). I love experiencing new cultures.
There were these things called "Chorks" at the party.  They're a fork on one end and chopsticks on the other.  Pretty odd but also inventive.

Overall, my mood has been better.  I couldn't point to any particular reason; maybe the schedule change & our increased understanding in our companionship has helped.


February 11th, 2017:
Ww did more language study with the sisters today.  I'm getting very good at reading Pinyin.  I think I can learn Chinese if I study hard enough (although it will probably be long after my mission before I approach any form of fluency).

We went to Itto's after language study.  It wasn't as good this time, maybe because I explored the menu. I had raw eel, fish eggs, raw salmon, raw yellowtail, and more.  The groupon my dad sent was only good for $10, as we already got half off as missionaries.  That's ok. I wouldn't have felt good getting such good food for half off half off.

We talked more about our relationship again.  We do that frequently now. We're making preparations for transfers.  Elder Bach is documenting his four transfers in the area. There are so many lists and things to keep in mind.  I wish missionary work was more of members finding and us teaching.  We wouldn't have to cycle through lists and try to create something; it would all happen naturally.  The problem in Utah is everyone knows members and has seen how they are, so that anyone who isn't a member already has been exposed in some way and has formed opinions through which everything is filtered.  Sometimes it feels like I'm pacing around, waiting for things I can't control.  I wish I could see the things I could change or be better able to change the things I know I can.  Such is life.


February 12th, 2017:
Today we felt like a long day.  We had ~8 hours straight of church/meetings and attended a baptism by the sisters.  I gave a talk for five minutes along with both of my companions.

One thing I've learned/experienced repeatedly is that a good relationship requires compromise and sacrifice; being right ≠|> being right.

I really hope we can make onigiri tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment