Monday, December 12, 2016

Week 23: Five months out and I still can't speak Chinese!


Week 23 Journal

December 5th, 2016:
P-day!  We played in a gym today.  It was a zone activity.  Having it so casually organized in the Valley is weird after Evanston.

Elder Bach had an anxiety attack today.  He has a lot of health issues, and their cumulative stress is very hard. I wish I knew how to help him.

I had a nice emailing time today; I had written & typed my journal before-hand, so I sorted my inbox today.  I haven't caught up yet.  Anyway, I also got a package from my mom & dad!  It had all sorts of snacks, but also touchscreen gloves!  They're pretty thin, but simultaneously warm.  It's very nice!

We returned scriptures to a girl today and ended up giving her dad a blessing.  He had eye surgery recently and taking a rough recovery.

I really hope to get a crockpot soon, as well as to order some language learning materials.

I think Elder Bach has given up on language study.  He's been really stressed, so it's understandable as his first two transfers here were without guidance when it came to learning Chinese.


December 6th, 2016:
Five months!  Whoooo!

Today was zone conference.  I always feel like the topics are just what I needed.  This one was on Christ-like attributes.

The whole week has been a lot of meetings.  I've wanted to get things moving with the stake, as we're stake-focused and the English wards haven't had a convert baptism in a while, but we focus o lot with the Chinese ward & its activities.  It's certainly a different pace than Evanston.

I got a care package from the Slades today!  Goodness, I have been so blessed this week!  Thank you!

I also got a crock pot!  It's brand new!  I'm so happy!

I would like to change my Christmas list.  I don't need anything for Christmas.  I would appreciate anything sent to me, especially letters or notes, but I've been so blessed already by everyone.

Language study is finally going to pick up pace on Thursday!  I'm excited.

President Hillier requested Spanish speakers.  There's a worldwide (?) initiative going on in the church for Hispanic missionary work, so maybe I'll be going to Spanish areas more.  I'm half-fluent anyway.


December 7th, 2016:
Brief repose today.  We visited the Temple today.  Elder Canaan was with us.  I loved it because of two things: there were a lot of men there, so the time at the veil took a long time.  It struck me that our ancestors are also waiting a long time.  I really focused and committed to helping others in the way I can.  I wouldn't necessarily be a doctor, or a physical therapist, or even a social worker, but more of changing my nature to be more like Christ.  Regardless of how well I can explain it, it felt nice.


Before I continue, I'd like to note an email my dad sent.  The crockpot I got was from my uncle, and my dad will send out some Chinese learning materials.  Thank you both!  In addition to your generosity, there was a member who paid for missionaries at lunch at Cafe Rio today.  People are so nice and I don't know what to say more than thank you!

~Later~

We saw the temple lights with the Chinese young men!  I connected with a boy named Sunny.  He's academically driven and is unsure about his testimony & mission.  I hope I can help him.

There was a really awkward correlation today.  Or, well, I didn't feel it was awkward but maybe it was.  Without going into detail, there was some tension between us and our high councilor--really, we just weren't in unity--but while it wasn't directly with me I still felt it and it was hunting the mission effort a bit.  We talked more companionship-inventory-style but we have to consolidate our plans/visions.  Oh well...


December 8th, 2016:
We had our first language study with a member today!  We're learning the Pinyin syllable chart.  As soon as I can get that down (no small task), I just have to get tones (no small task, either) and then I can start memorizing meanings (yet another not-so-small task) and learning grammar (you get the point!).  Yay!

Also today, Elder Bach had a doctor's visit.  He is dealing with a lot.  I don't know what exactly, but his strength inspires me.


December 9th, 2016:
We had a mission Christmas dinner today.  It was a "mission conference" and only happens ~once a year.  Everyone in the mission was there.  It was a good time.  Before the dinner was a conference, with the featured speaker being Elder Christiansen.  He spoke on the Atonement as a major influence in lives--not just something that removes sin--and it was just what we needed!

We had a Christmas party today, and the ward insisted we take food home so we now have a gallon-sized bag of mashed potatoes in our fridge.

Language study went well today.  We had it with the sisters, so Sister Shang helped us speak properly.  I can't wait to learn this language!


Elder Bach's been going to bed early regularly so I haven't found time to type this up on my iPad yet...


December 10th, 2016:
"God, I feel inadequate as a missionary!  I am confused as to how to accomplish my purpose or even what my purpose is in application to where I am.  Help me.  I know so little."
Just open your mouth.  Don't get lost in the details and the plans for the sake of the details and plans.

~Later~

Chinese Christmas party = lots of sushi? I tried sushi with raw fish in it today and it was great!

Elder Bach and I talked.  I found that my backing off and letting him take the lead (my being less aggressive than when I was with Elder Trincado) was actually stressing him.  We'll work on it.

Also, this week is going to be in the 40s.  I don't understand the weather – really cold, then warm. It snows, then melts fast. It’s not like Evanston.


December 11th, 2016:
Sacrament!  Yay!  There was a pretty spiritual lesson in Indian Hills' young men's class today.  It was about the Atonement and I took a few notes on it.

Chinese is slow.  We have had a lot of interrupted studies this week.  The time that experienced Mandarin speakers will spend teaching us is invaluable.

~Later~

I have to prep for p-day!  So little time!

I cooked dinner today--after an earlier failed attempt at the chicken stroganoff, I made it for tonight based on short notice yesterday that our dinner cancelled.  We had some mashed potatoes from a Christmas party so I didn't have to bake any, which really helped.  It was good, and tonight I whipped up some chili, so I hope that goes well.  It should.

Now that I have a personal crock pot, I have a basic shopping list so I can fix a simple dish whenever I get transferred.  This transfer was hard because I've come to depend on the crockpot, so I ended up having rice and beans.

I have a lot of thank-you cards to write.  I hope I can do everything I need to tomorrow!

Oh, also we had "hot pot" for the first time today (my first time).  It was good!

Q&A with my Dad:
Q. Are you still reading emails only on Monday, or do you read them daily when you can?
A. I'm reading emails all days now.
Q. Have you received any new Chinese language training materials from the mission home, or guidance on how to study and learn the language? 
A. I haven't received any materials from the mission office.  There are a few people in this area that are going to give us some of their old materials, but we haven't gotten anything yet.
Q. Do you have any access to Chinese language materials on your iPad?
A. The only thing on the iPads is a flashcards app.  It's a study tool, but it wouldn't help us learn as much as practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment