Monday, October 24, 2016

Week 16: The roller coaster


Following is Garrett's email from his 16th week of his mission. His email address is garrett.brothers@myldsmail.net
 
October 17th, 2016:
Today (Monday) we drove down to Salt Lake City a day early for transfers, because my companion is going home.  Usually we drive down on Tuesdays if someone is getting transferred, but if a companion is leaving or is/was/will be a zone leader or assistant to the president, we drive down on Monday. We stayed at an old apartment overnight. I was temporarily with Elder Bartley, a very new missionary with a similar situation (companion going, he's staying and not getting a new companion until Tuesday).  The Zone Leaders were with us, too.

We learned today that our area (Evanston South) is being divided, and so is the Evanston North area! Evanston will now be its own missionary district. It also will be merged into the Summit Zone. For now we’re calling it the Evanston/Summit Zone, but the name is subject to change.

October 18th, 2016:
I now have a new companion. His name is Elder Trincado, and he is from Chile.  He was born in the church, but his parents were converts.  He doesn't talk much, unless we're teaching.  He's starting his fifth transfer and I’m starting my third, so he's a little ahead of me, but he spent only one and a half transfers in the United States so far, as he was vista waiting before.

Our area is split in half; we cover Yellow Creek, 7th, & 8th wards & the Bear River Branch.  They also now included the Needles Branch, but we have no records of anyone in there so I don't know...

So I'm still speaking Spanish!  Which is great.  I do want to become more fluent--I'd say at this point I could be thrown into a Spanish-only group and someone could think I'm just thoughtful and careful with words.

The sisters' apartment isn't finished, so they're staying in Lyman, an hour drive away.  Brother Sellers is sprinting to finish it, but as for now they drive to Evanston Every day to do their work!  [The previous owners had puppies that weren't well trained, so while it's clean, Brother Sellers doesn't want anyone to be in an apartment with stained carpet.]

Also, the second set of elders is staying in our apartment, at least for now.  Or they will be...


October 19th, 2016:
...Aaaaaand the stress is back!  Yay!  Both our nightly plannings have gone far overtime, and I think that's been my fault...I still want to do PMG-perfect planning, but it takes so much time.  Also Elder Trincado and I disagree on many things, so then I want to stop and talk about it with him, which takes time too...

I feel like I'm too focused on myself, as I've said before, but it's too easy for me to focus on what doesn't happen or get done or go well, and then I look to myself to improve and change that.  I just don't know what to accept as a natural limitation and what I could have actually done better.

Anyway, I feel like I'm just surviving at this point.  I don't want to put it that way, but it may be.  I just don't want to start looking forward to bed time, to p-day, to the end...I want to enjoy this.  But I also want to do my best and improve.  It's dangerous, though, as it would be too easy to start moping and slip into depression/anxiety or some other bad state.

Also, the other companionship of elders stayed with the Zone Leaders tonight.


October 20th, 2016:
I worked on it today. It's amazing how much actually doing missionary work works.  It helps me avoid the feeling of being ground down...

...aaand the other companionship of elders are back with us now!


October 21, 2016:
I got the package from my dad!  The Dunn's (senior missionaries in Lyman) brought up the care package because they were in the mission home when it arrived.  My Dad sent me a flash drive and a wireless hard drive! And iPod with missionary-appropriate music, as well as some speakers! And Pocky! And an absentee ballot! And a wind-up fish (?) [Note from Dad: It’s because you are “fishers of men”.] THANK YOU for the care package!  The music is awesome!  I ended up giving the other elders in our apartment a box of 6 Pocky packs earlier this week, as I only have one stick a day and there are 20 to a pack.  The six packs (or 120 sticks) that I gave to them are already gone. 

Dad, I saw your comments with the absentee ballot about the presidential candidates. This is my first election, so are they really more vile than usual?  Well, I guess I'm not surprised. Evanston is definitely Trump country, because people hope he will help bring back the fossil fuel industries, which really affects Wyoming. Anyway, I still haven't had time to address the voting ballot, but I'm doing that soon (I hope).

We helped finish up the sisters' apartment today. They move in tomorrow. Along with moving their stuff in, apartment out, as we don't have room and Evanston doesn't bike.

October 22, 2016:
Weekly planning!  Elder Trincado and I disagree about a lot!  He wants to blast through the steps, I want to go through each sentence, etc... Not fun but I need to learn to compromise and listen.

We had a lesson right after we did our planning. Marshall's a kid who wants to get baptized. His dad really brought the spirit into our discussion. We were reading the story of the stripling warriors and then Josh, the dad, shared about how he used to carry a breast-pocket Bible when he served in the army. One day, he found a bullet lodged in the pages. The book had stopped the bullet. After he shared the story, the feeling in the house was indescribable.

Also, the zone leaders offered me a cow heart & liver. They called me up and asked if I had any good crockpot recipes for it. When they brought it over, it was still warm & fresh in a white plastic bag. ... it's now in our freezer.

October 23, 2016:
I felt the spirit today during sacrament meeting. I had brushed my head with my hand and it reminded me of my mom brushing my head when I was a kid. It felt really nice, but right afterward I thought about how the mission was the first part of my adult life and how mom wouldn't be around forever, nor would dad, or anyone else.  I was simultaneously glad for the faith I had already developed and sad for my imperfect police and discipleship. I did not feel bad for thinking of myself, though, which was interesting.

My relationship with my companion has been better today.  It's a roller coaster!

I found waking to be therapeutic. I don't know why. Eating what I bake is pretty good therapy, too.

Elder Taylor cut his own hair today before bed, but he messed up. I came upstairs after showering and discovered Elder Bade trying to fix it while Elder Trincado watched.

Marshall wasn't at church today, so he can't get baptized on November 5th. It's weird so many people don't have control over their schedules Evanston. Often having people get to church is one of the hardest things because they have to work!  The economy isn't great in Wyoming–they mainly depended on oil, natural gas, or coal (which has had demand cut as a result of government regulations), so people have to take any job they can.

The upsides of Evanston is how nice the people are — the worst we will get is a frigidly cold shoulder, but no one shouting at us or throwing stuff – how slow the streets are compared to Salt Lake, and the very involved members. So all in all I love it.


Additional thoughts:

Last month our district made a commitment to read emails only on p-days. We decided to try that to avoid being distracted by thinking about home. Although it was a district commitment, it was individual in nature, with the goal to be less distracted.  However, I found that I'm more distracted knowing I probably have a few emails from home and will have to read them all on p-day. So what I've done is turned off notifications for the emails that are not from the mission office, but I'll let myself check emails if I have time during the week. That seems to be a good balance.

I'm reading through the Book of Mormon and Preach My Gospel every day.  If you read Preach My Gospel, it will answer a lot of questions about what we missionaries do in a day.  I'm increasing in my Gospel knowledge, but am focusing on reinforcing the basics than learning deep doctrinal things.  I've only read Lectures on Faith so far and it's really helped me understand what faith is. I haven't had a lot of time to read other books, but I will when I have time on p-days. 

I’ve started wearing my waterproof boots since it’s getting colder up here. The boots are really nice.  I've also been using my heavier layered coat. I also found some trench coats that other missionaries left behind, so I've been rotating depending on how cold it is.  I'm sure when it really gets deep into winter, I'll need everything.  At once.  </s>

Love you!

No time for pictures this week....


No comments:

Post a Comment