Following is Garrett's email from his 15th week of his
mission. His email address is garrett.brothers@myldsmail.net. Please send packages c/o the mission home:
Utah
Salt Lake City East Mission
3487 S 1300 E
Salt Lake City, UT 84106
3487 S 1300 E
Salt Lake City, UT 84106
Week 15 Journal
October 10th, 2016:
P day! We helped Elder Taylor move furniture around and then went to emailing. Also, things have been better. Week
11 of my 12 weeks of new missionary training has the new missionary take the lead in everything. At times, I didn't think Elder Matsuzaki was giving enough support, but maybe I'm supposed to feel like I'm floundering. (There are some long stories
behind this, so don't read too much into it.) Anyway, I believe in the
future that I'll get more guidance from my (more experienced) companions.
We had a zone activity today which (as any p day activity does) ran over. As a result, the zone leaders and ourselves got back a little before six, so we wouldn't really have time to eat dinner. Fortuitously,
I had prepared a creamy potato/chicken/ham crock pot dish, so I scooped
them some into Tupperware and gave it to them with water bottles,
napkins, apples, and cookies. It felt nice--they appreciated it--and it got me thinking about different forms of helping (or healing, or...):
>
Small acts, or indirect things: making others feel better about the
environment they live in, whether by things you do for others or by
small things you do for them.
>
Helps, aids, assists: any of these acts will turn a day or a mood
around. Basically, "hey, I got you, you don't need to worry about it." This is normally about how you are (i.e. with the zone leaders, I was in a position to help).
>
Healing, mending: helping others over a longer period of time, letting
them change; normally it's something about who you are or your
relationship to them (i.e. social workers, doctors, missionaries;
friends, family).
Each of these types of helping has its ups and downs. I like the second form of helping the most. For example, if I was playing video games, I'd try to help the people I was playing with so it's a better experience for everyone.
Small acts: it takes little time, and if repeated can help many. Good etiquette, for example.
Helps, aids: Doing this requires opportunity, and an awareness on the part of the helper. Boosting/supporting another person.
Healing, mending: requires ongoing interpersonal relations and dedication. Talking with a friend about issues or concerns is something I can do now.
Anyway, I'm out of time so I'll write more later.
October 11th, 2016:
I farted so much today! [Note from dad: That's my boy!] It wasn't GI pains like before. I've been a lot gassier a lot since I've gotten out on my mission. I don't know if it's stress, food, or the change in atmosphere...
October 12th, 2016:
We had weekly planning today, as
tomorrow will be zone conference. Elder Matsuzaki pushed hard through three
hours. It was amazing and very helpful to me. We discussed and organized all the people we needed to visit and
put them on a board. It really helped me sort out the area. So all in
all it was a pleasant change from other weeks. I also learned that part of weekly planning is to detail all of the next day's activities, including 9:30 to 10:30 pm: an
hour to prepare for bedtime.
We've been saying goodbye to quite a few people recently since Elder Matsuzaki dies (goes home from his mission) soon. It's weird to think about it.
Also, Robert gets baptized tomorrow!
October 13th, 2016:
Robert got baptized today! The service went well, but there were very few people there.
Robert knocked on Elder Owen &
Masten's door, which is really unusual. Actually, they were syncing at the church, and he came over to talk to the missionaries. He wanted to get
baptized. Ever since I met Robert, he has known everything we taught
him. He is really prepared. He had a misdemeanor conviction and was put on probation, and had to be interviewed by President Hillier before he was baptized, but it's done. We're glad Robert could finally get baptized—he had been working with missionaries for a while, unknown to me until recently.
~Later~
We had zone meeting today. It was all focused on planning and it really helped me.
Later tonight, Elder Matsuzaki and I were talking about pride and selfishness. It
started with a comment about how I couldn't plan—or rather, I would
often ask Elder Matsuzaki what we should do, and he kept pushing it back to me. I got
irritated, and kept talking to
him. During the car ride back, he explained to me how I kept complaining about a delay that had
messing up our scheduled appointment. He pointed out that the other missionaries
had tried to be positive but I had not. The fundamental issue, he said, was based upon my
pride. It hurt me to have it put so bluntly (as he had warned me in advance). But it opened my eyes to how I can let pride affect me, and I will seek to change for the better.
October 14, 2016:
We went to the temple today with Elder
Matsuzaki. Departing missionaries get to go to the temple one last
time. The temple is wonderful.
After that, we finally got Elder
Matsuzaki's toe checked out. It's been hurting him for a while. Turns out it was infected from being ingrown. A few hours and a draining procedure later, it's on its way to healing
(hopefully). Chuck Richardson, the doctor who saw his foot and performed the operation, knew Chelsea. Small world!
As we picked up Elder Matsuzaki's prescription, I spotted an old poster on the back of a sign for Splatoon, the Nintendo video game I used to play. I asked for and was given permission to get it, and then immediately realized I probably should not have done that as it might distract me. So I didn't even look at it, and I intend to send it home ASAP. That realization was unexpected, and a bit of a surprise. I don't know how I feel about it.
October 15th, 2016:
Today we went to Fifth Street deli for
lunch. It was Elder Matsuzaki's birthday, and he and another elder, Elder Moe, decided
to try the Red Devils wing
challenge. Red Devils is the local high school mascot, and the challenge is to eat 10 super spicy BBQ wings. Elder Moe changed his mind after seeing the wings and decided to not try to do the challenge. Elder Matsuzaki tried it. He got down 4 out of 10 wings, then couldn't eat any more. They were too spicy. We got a video of of it. It incapacitated everyone who tried (including the members we were with), so it's probably not the wisest of things to do on a mission.
October 16, 2016:
We got word today about transfers. I'm staying put. Also staying: the zone
leaders, Elder Wagley, Elder Wilkins, & Sister Blacker. Leaving: Elder Matsuzaki, Elder Lolofie, Elder Richardson, & Sister Lawson.
I've also heard that we might be getting some new companionships, but
we'll wait and see!
We gave talks in the Evanston 4th Ward along with Robert's confirmation. We had very little time to prepare, so I only had an outline. I ended up speaking from my heart, knowing only vaguely what I would say, and the Spirit was so strong.
I finished writing in Elder Matsuzaki's transfer journal, and I think it turned out well!
Photos!
![]() |
| Wyoming Zone on P-Day |
![]() |
| Elder Brothers and Matsazuki with Brody and family |
![]() |
| Us with Maria, another member |
![]() |
| Elder Matsazuki with his inner Princess |
![]() |
| Silly missionaries |





No comments:
Post a Comment