Monday, July 25, 2016

Third week at the MTC: The Drama!!!

Week three!  I'm leaving tomorrow and basically don't get my P-day tomorrow so I have a shorter preparation time today.  I hope I can get everything!

From my journal:

July 19th, 2016:
I feel... better.  Whew.  Okay.  Where to begin.  So Elder Blood finally changed the desks.  Backing up: we have 12 elders in a class room.  Which means 12 desks.  We have these weird desk things that are attached to the chairs.  They take up space, so this small classroom can't give everyone personal space and have a nice open front area for the instructor.  So Elder Blood did a bunch of measurements and had been figuring out where to put the desks.  Today we finally moved them.

Elder Bach had been sitting in the front of the room.  The way the desks have been arranged, his and his companion's were in the middle.  But Elder Bach has been using a wheeled, padded chair for his seat, and sometimes uses the desk attached to the (otherwise unused) chair as a table.  Many of us had brought up the fact that we don't have much space to move around, and moving an unused chair would give us more room, but Elder Bach didn't really pay attention to that.  So today Elder Blood moved the desks, and ended up removing Hyde's and Bach's desks because they weren't really using them.  Elder Hyde was fine with this, but Elder Bach was annoyed.

Now, remember that last week I wrote that Elder Wagley was annoyed at Elder Bach.  Keep that in mind. Today, Elder Wagley and Elder Bach were mad at each other because Elder Bach kept complaining about how Elder Blood had taken his desk and how he had a right to a desk, whether he used it or not.  So Elder Wagley's in our room, making acidic comments about Elder Bach.

Meanwhile, our frenemy district is on our dorm floor.  We've had good volleyball matches and it's all been good fun.  Now, the natural leader of that other district is Elder Rothaug, who is not the district leader, but is a confident personality type. Elder Rothaug decides to prank Elder Hyde by taking his mattress and hiding it.  But every room can only be accessed by a key to that door, so he needs a way in... which ends up being Elder Wagley. So Elder Rothaug takes the mattress with Elder Wagley's help.  Elder Hyde gets really mad, storms around the dorm floor until he finds out Elder Rothaug did it.  However, after receiving an explanation, Elder Hyde isn't mad at Elder Rothaug... he's mad at Elder Wagley.  So Elder Hyde goes into our district's other room.  Really, he's more upset than angry (I think). 

So, we have Elder Hyde in another room upset, Elder Rothaug feeling guilty for getting Elder Hyde mad at Elder Wagley, Elder Wagley in our room venting his frustration at Elder Bach, Elder Blood fearing he'll get in trouble [as Elder Bach implied the teacher wouldn't like the new desk arrangements], Elder Bach annoyed at Elder Blood and the room for the desks.  Elder Gailey is talking to Elder Blood. I felt like it letting it sit for the night wouldn't work so I did some counseling!

I couldn't take hearing Elder Wagley continue to complain about Elder Bach, so I go to find him.  On the way, I get details of 1) Who did the prank, and 2) Elder Hyde is mad at Elder Wagley.  As I find Elder Bach, he says he needed to talk to the zone leaders.  Elder Rothaug was with him, and so I talked to him.  Elder Rothaug tells me he wants to talk to Hyde, so I go to talk to Elder Hyde.  I knew Elder Hyde was in room 2 because I had searched for Elder Bach there.

So I talk to Elder Hyde again. I had talked to him before about the pranks, and this time I talked to him about Elder Rothaug. Elder Hyde said he thought it would be a waste of time because Elder Rothaug would just say don't be mad at Elder Wagley. 

I then talk to Elder Bach.  I tell him about how Elder Wagley had been feeling.  He thanked me for my honesty. I told him that  he had to take initiative because Elder Wagley was not planning to seek him out.  So Elder Bach went  off to talk to Elder Wagley.  I don't know if Elder Rothaug has talked to Hyde, but if he hasn't he will.  He mentioned how he might wait for Elder Hyde to calm down, which could be wise.  Anyway, Elder Hyde's sleeping in room 2 tonight, which is understandable.

As I wrote this, Elder Blood came and talked to me.  I tried to calm him as best I could.  I think I helped; I just hope he doesn't become even more introverted because of it.  Also, Elder Bach's now talking to Elder Gailey, which I hope is a good sign.  It's Elder Gaily, so it's probably helping Elder Bach.

Also, we went to the temple today.  I forgot to mention that.  I was a proxy in sealings for the first time ever and it was a good feeling.

July 20th, 2016:
We hosted this morning.  We showed the new Elders & Sisters to where they had to go; we were basically the first faces they saw of the MTC.  Time goes fast.

~Later~

Wow!  My grandma sent me a care package with photos of me, my parents, and my grandparents when I went to get my endowment at the Temple, some cookies she'd baked, fruit leather she made, and fancy thank you cards. Thank you Grandma!  That's a wonderful care package!  Also, thank you to whoever sent the care package full of snacks.  There was no note inside it and the company that shipped it didn't include any sender information so I don't know who sent it.  Also, thank you to Rose and Lily for the drawings--I've hung them up on my closet door.  Finally, thank you Aunt Ravonne for the card!  Thank all of you.  I love you guys (and everyone else).  Goodnight.

Note: there are some Dear Elder letters that I haven't gotten in a physical letter yet.  They're in my inbox in my e-mail but I haven't gotten time to read them.

July 21st, 2016:
I just felt the Holy Ghost.  We were answering "How do [these laws & ordinances] help us live the doctrine of Christ?" with a specific principle in mind.  I chose eternal marriage. Family is one of my favorite subjects to talk about.  Everyone can feel it, and it's such a glad message.  So I quietly let my soul speak to the class.  It felt nice.

~later~

I just had a not fun time with my companion.  We were both annoyed at each other. He doesn't want to do somethings we've been told to do, but he thinks I'm doing too much.  He makes me feel like it's my fault that we struggle, but after I talked to him I talked to my district and they assured me I'm doing right.  Eventually he left the room, saying that he couldn't deal with this. I started tearing up when I thought that it could be entirely my fault and none of his. I got down on my knees and prayed; afterward I decided to open Mom's note in the care package which said, with peace signs and hearts, "We <3 you!"  At that point I couldn't stop crying. Anyway my companion doesn't know I cried.
~later~
Ok, now he does; a person in my district who talked to me told him.  He apologized, but I think we still have to talk. But later.  I'm too drained now.

July 22nd, 2016:
Note to Mom and Dad: could you refer our neighbors [the ones with Bo] to the missionaries?  I gave the mother of that family [I can't remember the name] a Book of Mormon a while ago and I think it would be good for the missionaries to visit.

Things have calmed down with my companion and I but we still have not talked.

We had in-field orientation today, which taught us skills for the field (like how to use the planner we got).  The meeting lasted for ~eight hours.

Also we taught our last lesson to our fourth Teaching Resource Center (TRC) investigator today.  He's half Japanese.  I gave him Pocky once, because he gave us Pretz [both Japanese snacks].  Anyway it was nice to teach him, but he didn't feel the spirit during when we taught him.  Oh well...

Also, thank you for all the care packages!  Packing will be harder but the letters, things, and support I got are worth it.

Also, my sketch book has become a lot more comic-based.  It's like a less-public journal because only I will understand the memories behind them.  [Note: I wrote this before I got the letter from my dad saying he doesn't really understand the dozens of pictures I sent of my doodles.  With that in mind I'm still going to continue sketching.  It's a way for me to relieve stress and it's valuable to me, even if others may think it is a distraction.]

July 23rd, 2016:
We taught our 3rd TRC investigator for the last time today!  I opened up to her about eternal families based off what she said; tears were rolling down my cheek [as families is a very important subject to me].  Then she said, in the nicest way possible, that that particular message wasn't really for her.

July 24th, 2016:
Waiting for the shower.  Wooo!  I'm almost into the field!

A few things:
   We sang with the Nashville Tribute Band today for Sunday Devotional.
   Garment bags are fantastic.
   Things are still rocky with my companion.

Anyway, lights out.

July 25th, 2016:
Whew!  Our final full day is a strange half p-day.  We're expected to pack, run laundry, and write e-mails, but we don't have the full p-day time.  It's about 9:00 AM as I write this; we've just finished doing our laundry and dashed to the classroom.

I realize I should follow up from the 19th.  Things have been better from that time but not perfect.  Elder Blood's extrovert disguise is a way for him to express humor and relieve stress.  Elder Bach has calmed down, Elder Hyde's okay with Elder Wagley, and Elder Wagley hasn't complained much about Bach.

I guess I should update my descriptions:

Elder Bach: Stressed about leading the group, he cares quite a bit about the gospel.  He's more on the serious side--he doesn't joke around much--but he will warm up if you get to know him.  His favorite color is black or sky blue.

Elder Blood: He appears to be goofy, but really he's intelligent and loves to think.  He's an introvert but acts goofy to help him deal with other people.  His favorite color is turquoise.

Elder Hyde: he is aggressive by nature--not to a harmful point but still aggressive.  He struggles with being on a mission, especially with the spiritual intensity (I think we all struggle to adapt) but as a result he will push people away without really noticing.  He's kind at heart.  His favorite color is red/crimson.

Elder Gailey: he's reverent and very focused on the gospel.  He knows his scriptures well, and will counsel the group when we act un-harmoniously with our calling.  Just don't give him sugar or he'll roast people.  His favorite color is dark navy.

Elder Wagley: enjoys photography & cave exploring.  He's also writing a novel about sci-fi adventures.  He and I do not get along sometimes; I'll drum on the bed and he'll have a flashlight to write when it's bedtime, I'll want to go fast in the morning but slow in the evening and he's vice versa, etc.  His favorite color is blue or green.

Elder Anderson: he's a large ginger.  He's gentle, social, and fairly confident.  A good word for him is "jolly."  He enjoys having a good time but has a deep doctrinal understanding.

Elder Johnson: he's quiet and reserved but also confident and sturdy.

I didn't get to everyone, but I did ask Elder Blood to think what everyone's Myer-Briggs personality type is:

Bach: ESTP    
Blood: INTJ      
Gailey: INFJ     
Hyde: ISTP     
Wagley: INTP      
Brothers: INTJ      
Anderson: ESFJ      
Chavez: [E or I] NFJ       
 Petersen: ISFJ       
Johnson: [E or I] STP     
Schloemer: ENFP      
Thomas: ESTP
_______

General thoughts:

As I transcribe my journal, I realize the level of writing sounds far below my usual level.  Understand that I do not receive much time to write, and as such I can only record my surface-level reactions in simple language.  This also explains the spelling; computers at the MTC have spell check, but right-click is disabled on the computers so I can't see how to properly spell the word.  Instead of trying to puzzle it out, I would much rather spend time writing more.

I love to hear from everyone, so thank you for all the letters.

I miss all of you and I wish I could see you!

I'm still working to overcome my spiritual barrier.  Right now I still struggle to accept that the gospel is true.  I understand it and am willing to live to its requirements, but believing is a whole separate story.  I want to believe, but I hold myself back, and I feel like we all do that at least at one time or another, if not all the time.  I don't know why part of me resists accepting the gospel--it is such a glad message--but it does, and I feel like if I learn why then I can finally make peace with myself.  As it stands I sometimes wish I could just spend days on end soul searching in piece, but there is much work to do.  Earlier when I talked to that TRC investigator about families, I said at one point something along the lines of "I still have doubts.  I don't think I could honestly tell you I believe that there is a God, or that Jesus really was the Messiah... but what I can say is that I believe families can live together forever."  I didn't plan to say that.  I didn't really want to say that, but I said it.  I'm still trying to make sense of it.

The biggest issue for me is this: I have two parts.  The one part wants me to accept the gospel.  It wants to hope, to be happy, glad, to live a good life.  The other part of me does not want to reject the gospel; it merely wants to wait.  To hold on.  I do not know why I think in such a fashion.  I believe it comes out of a deep fear that I will say I believe and, for the most part, I will.  But inside, some part of me will still not be able to accept it.  And trials will eventually come, and break me.  But if I wait, if I do not push forward into acceptance, I am safe in such an odd way.  I am weathered by it, and I do not know what to do at times.

Sometimes as I ponder, I test the idea of fully accepting the gospel.  Part of me is deeply moved, just as when I talk to an investigator and want them to accept it.  But... it would be such a radical change of thought that it would challenge me to change down even in my very core.  It will almost certainly be a change for the better, but it will be a change.  That scares me.  It scares me, not to inaction, but it still scares me nonetheless.

Part of me just wants to accept it so I will not feel so conflicted internally, but I cannot do so so easily, I think.  I cannot accept the gospel for peace of mind; if I did it would not truly be acceptance.

I'm trying to let myself believe it.  I just have to live more.

***********

I wanted to share a poem I wrote from my journal:

There is, down by the river.
     a boy whose feet barely touch the shore.
The daylight plays on the water
     as the sun lazily settles in  to swim.
The limbs of the trees
     reach into the dome of the sky.
As the wind runs through the leaves,
     it rustles the boy's hair.
The birds nest in the tree.
     All is calm, still, and silent.

There is, down by the river,
     clothes and a towel,   still unused.
The sand blankets the shore,
     tucked in by the gentle water.
The reeds bend gracefully,
     bowing to their Mother Earth.
As the breeze glides through the marsh,
     it whispers sweetly to the child.
The fish lay in the river bottom.
     All is calm, still, and silent.

There is, down by the river,
     a mother who waits for her child.
The evening slips softly by
     moving on to the rest of the Earth.
The delicate scent of flowers
     perfumes the air unnoted.
As the breath of Gods pushes past,
     it pauses, considers, and continues on.
The rabbits doze in their burrow.
     All is calm, still, and silent.

There is, down by the river,
     a grave, dug long ago.
The night veils the riverbank,
     careful to not suffocate the world.
The lilies decorate the water,
     blooming so slowly.
As the draft crosses the boy's cheek
     it tries to dry his tears.
The boy lies on the grass.
     All is calm, still, and silent.
There was, down by the river,
     a family now dead,
Time itself had forgotten
     as the world went on.
The overgrowth stretches over,
     shielding their rest.
As the wind rushes by,
     it recalled them, for a moment.
The family sleeps in the ground.
     All is calm, still, and silent.

***********

Photos:

An exercise in photography, focused on a stairwell, and how some things can be made to look like art

More stairwell art

I was trying to show exactly how bad my bedhead can get but the camera kept doing this in the mirror.  I ended up keeping this photo.​

A lego cowboy I drew for Elder Hyde.  He says "Happy Sunday!" to us in a strange accent, which inspired me to doodle this earlier.  When he saw it, he asked me to draw it larger on a sheet of paper so I did.​


I left my camera in the other room and this selfie appeared.​

1 comment:

  1. The Amazon package of snacks is from Ian and Ravonne! Love your poem.

    ReplyDelete