Monday, August 7, 2017

Garrett’s mission journal, Week 57: last week in the Winder stake.

Baptism of Rita and her sons
Monday, July 31st, 2017:
For p-day, we had planned to go golfing, but it didn’t happen. We're not allowed to leave our apartment earlier than 8:00 am, and all the tee times after that were taken.

However, we did go to a p-day activity at the zone leader's apartment.  It was pizza and ping-pong at 11:00 am.  The arranged tournament dissolved, which is probably for the better.

We shopped before ping-pong and emailed after.  Our emailing has become dependent on going with other elders.

Cleaning the apartment didn't really happen.

We had to leave early to go to Braxton's house for dinner and a lesson.  Here's a thing I never supposed: Braxton has autism.  Whereas people before reminded me of my siblings, Braxton reminded me of myself.  I understood exactly what he was doing.  I had trouble figuring out how to teach to him, though.

We finally met with Jason, Justin, Paul, and their family; it had been a while.  This lesson went better.  The father asked about what being sealed as a family meant; we're going to study with them so they can learn the answer.

Westin had discarded a bike Elder Wagley wanted to fix up, so we got Elder Wagstaff to help.  During that, he told us he was recently diagnosed with cancer.  Thinking of my dad, my reaction was that I hope he's ready for a journey.  I hope he recovers.


Tuesday, August 1st, 2017:
Last Friday, we talked to a sister who I said was the perfect example of a benevolent non-Mormon person. This got me thinking a lot, and now I’m going to try to explain. From that conversation, I realized that many religions inspire to do good.  We as missionaries try to lead people to truth, which is really good.  But from this conversation, I realized most experiences, good or bad, did nothing to prove ("prove") or disprove a religion.  Granted, a religion must make sense, but there must be a way to distinguish plausibility from truth.  And I realized I was still looking for that.

What this meant is I don’t have a strong foundation for a testimony to stand on.  I was convinced of a greater power, but I didn't know what form that took.  I was willing to discount all my previous experiences, knowing others had similar experiences in other religions.

This stripped me of any reason or motivation to care.  It really hit this morning, but I was fading fast before that.  I hadn't made an effort to tell Elder Wagley about it because I went 30 minutes over in studies Saturday morning looking for the entry where I gained my testimony, to which he responded very acidicly. I didn't trust him to not attack me for basically saying "I don't think I have a testimony right now."  I didn't have enough motivation to get into it with him.

It really hit me this morning.  After exercise and clashing against Elder Wagley on every other thing, I made breakfast and we planned.  We don't have the best planning sessions, even though things happen and we get lots to do.  After that, I progressively moved into the bathroom, where I took a two hour bath and thought about how little I cared.  The things I didn't care about, whereas I still did care about in my other high-stress times:
- What anyone thought if I returned home early
- Returning home early
- Leaving the church, or what anyone thought about it
I wasn't very upset. I was sorting through these thoughts logically. I didn't have overwhelming despair or anything like suicidal thoughts, by the way.  Let me make that clear. 

So there I still in the tub when Elder Wagley told me there was a DL/ZL review we were to Skype into, and we needed to be at the church in 10 minutes.  The bath had gotten cold and we only have one tub's worth of hot water in the heater, so I got ready.

Elder Wagley said in passing that I should do personal study.  When the DL/ZL review started--half an hour later than we thought it was--I went to the foyer couch.  I didn't want to study, so I looked for interesting things around.  There wasn't much and my embers hadn't died completely yet, so when I found a copy of True to the Faith, I started reading. I decided to just look for things that may help me, skimming through alphabetically.  I skipped most of the larger sections, like "Atonement," so it was odd that I chose to read "Conversion."

This mentioned something about fasting--how miracles didn't convert; Alma the younger was only converted after much prayer and fasting--so I decided to essentially fast until I got an answer to my crisis of faith (or until I got too thirsty), at which point I'd quit.  The last food I had was a mango bar.  It reminded me of my mom.

Once I got on my knees and started praying, I remembered the time in previous studies where I read "Reflections on a Consecrated Life" and the work guiltless. I don't know why I hadn't remembered it before. I felt an overwhelming comfort. I checked it against the idea of other people having experiences in other religions but I knew it was too strong an experience to disregard (I had mentally fastened on to that fact because I didn't want to doubt it later).  Plus, it felt more like the experiences that I previously had that convinced me of a greater power.  I was comfortable accepting it, but a little confused that I got an answer so fast. I don't know if I even closed the first prayer that I said to open the fast before I then closed the fast.

I got up and got a drink from the water fountain.

~*~*~*~*~

We returned to the apartment and had lunch.  I wasn't too hungry, so I wrote a card to Ollie Slade, my nephew, for his first birthday in a few days.

Elder Wagley proceeded to work on his bike from 1:30-4:45. At first I just waited, but as time passed I got the phone and texted people, wrote lesson reports, and caught us up on our to-do list.

Rita had us over for dinner again.  We picnicked outside and ate chili.

The evening passed with the Winder Single Adult Ward Mission Leader (WML).  We caught quite a few people home, which is great because the WML was super excited.

I've OYM-ed a lot more now.  It's great; I'm glad.

We got in at 9:20 or so (which we normally do).  Elder Wagley worked more n his the bike, and I wrote in my journal until about 10:40 pm.  Elder Wagley got very mad at me for not going to bed soon after he told me to go to bed; he was working on his bike until 10:36 before he knew what time it was.  He told me that what I was writing would give me no joy; it was like he was trying to give me the opposite of a priesthood blessing. I didn't let myself get angry at him.


Wednesday, August 2nd, 2017:
I got to work out at home this morning.  Elder Wagley fixed up the bike again.

We planned for 45 extra minutes during companionship study only to see those plans go unused.  Granted, Elder Wagstaff driving us around at the end of the day and other delays/unexpected events filled up our schedule, so having the plans wasn't undesirable.

We tried tracting as we did phone work in the morning, which kind of worked out.  After lunch, I wasn't feeling my best.  Mostly, I was tired.  Last night and the hot weather this morning did it.  After lunch, all I could get myself to do was phone work.  My body was okay with that, whereas if I started to get ready to go out I fear I might have laid down instead.  Elder Wagley worked on his bike as I did phone work; he actually finished it up and rode it the rest of the day.  It's still unstable, however.

Dinner was with the high councilor over missionary work; he and his family forgot and we were late to confirm again so they gave us Rancherito's.  We did manage to give them the gift of sanity; they had a malfunction in their security system causing a chime to go off every five minutes around the clock for four days.  I found the volume option for it and turned it off.

We got some food from the Wagstaff's garden and biked home.  The Wagstaff’s showed us a neat back-fence shortcut through the cemetery.

A baptismal interview took up the rest of the night (for the other elders' investigator).  The 12th WML wanted to meet with us--rather, visit others with us--but once we looked to see how far away the interview was, he just gave us a ride because he was late.  We participated in a blessing to the interviewee.


Thursday, August 3rd, 2017:
I was so tired this morning.  I haven't been sleeping well--I've been down most of the night, but I can recall waking up.  I even got to bed a little early last night!  My personal study was slow.

Fortunately, the housing staff came over to pick up junk from our apartment just before I laid down.  Transfers are so soon.

Rita cancelled our scheduled lesson, so we did weekly planning.  We finished after four and a half hours.  Elder Wagley took charge and while I trailed behind. That’s effective since there is no other opinion.  The plan needs to be fine tuned, but decisiveness was the key factor.

Our area book
We spent about an hour on companionship inventory.  One thing I learned is continuing an argument with Elder Wagley when he didn’t want to continue is comparable to when he was telling me to go to bed last night.  By continuing, one hurts chances of the other following his counsel.

We ate dinner at home, which is great because we have a lot of leftovers at home.  I felt uneasy in the lower stomach down, so the rest of the night I waited in the bathroom for my digestive tract to settle down.

We have a wonderful stake president.  He ran a stake correlation for the WMLs of the stake and you can see how much he cares for the stake and missionary work.


Friday, August 4th, 2017:
This was an odd day.  Elder Wagley prepared for district meeting after personal study, so I did phone work.  That lasted for about two hours, followed by a 105 minute companionship study where we roleplayed for 45 of those minutes.  I feel a lot more prepared to teach lesson five, but I don't really know what to think.

Lunch and district meeting followed; the training was on goals.  I want to learn how to use goals more effectively.  A successful goal causes me to do more.  If I can master that (with God’s help), I can do anything! The problem is in part trying to see myself and what's realistic, but the solution seems to be remembering a goal is a tool and if it does its job, it works.  Different people use goals differently.

We fed ourselves again tonight and took only 20 minutes doing it.  Our lesson with Braxton was cancelled, so we got to a few people.  One was a pretty drunk man who regrets not being able to join the church.  It was an odd conversation, but I could still see the soul behind him, if that makes sense.

We then waited for Vahid.  His car had broken down, but we didn't know this.  We still had a lesson with him, it just took the rest of the night.  It was on defining words; with Rita's help, we found he needed so much help in translating, It was amazing he had enough faith to do anything of what we asked him!

My parents sent me a package full of protein bars and other food.  Thank you!  I also got a letter with drawings from Lily and Rose, which is very sweet of them.


Saturday, August 5th, 2017:
We had our second sit-down lesson with Louis on the Plan of Salvation. While we twisted it up a bit, I'm 65% certain Louis is going to be baptized. He really reflected on the lesson as we taught and all his questions pointed to future principles--he wants to know more.

Bingo went tell today.  Elder Wagley and I split a burrito, taking turns calling and eating.

The 12th WML went with us to the family of five kids (Bella, Adrian, Alex, Andrew, and Austina) that we're trying to get solid contact with.  We talked to their mother and she was willing to support her kids and bring them to church.  The parents or grandparents need to do something for their children to be successfully taught.

Dinner through the evening was connected by getting to, attending, and getting from a baptism for someone Elder Wagley had taught in another area.

We were going to contact people later, but someone Elder Wagley met on exchanges saw us and invited us in.  Before we knew it, we were being used as mediators in a dispute.  Then the other person called us out because we don't have the authority to give cousel to others.  It was ugly; not horrid, but not great.

Tonight I learned I’m being transferred! I don’t know where to yet.Everyone else in the district except Sister Vaya is staying, including Elder Wagley.  I'm okay with leaving the area; I'll be a little bummed if I go to a slower area, but it's all still part of the work. I'm going to be glad to have a new companion.  Elder Wagley and I are just not good for each other, at least right now.


Sunday, August 6th, 2017:
13 month milestone today! 

We did an actual planning and study session today, which I think helped a lot.  Our stake has "family Sundays" where the only meetings are the three-hour blocks – no auxiliary meetings.

We bore our testimonies in the first and third wards, it being fast Sunday.  We said the prayers in the first and 13th wards.

We did some contacting, but we didn't contact as many people as we hoped to. We found a proper desk and got Elder Wagstaff's help to move it. 

The last thing we had was a lesson with the same family as most Sunday nights.  I'm split on those lessons because it doesn't help our area, but it has a good effect on the family.  I think the ward notices it, though, which is why I haven't tried to change it.

Elder Moe is going home this transfer!

But he'd like to stay longer

No comments:

Post a Comment