Monday, June 5th, 2017:
Today was a very crazy p-day. We had an activity at 12:30, so we barely cleaned and cut our emailing time short.
To get around, a member gave us rides. He even paid for Elder Clayton's groceries. He was so nice to us. Here's a photo of us cooking:
Thoday's
activity was a multi-zone visit to the graves of the prophets, or many
of the prophets. I gave a presentation on Howard W. Hunter and it felt
like school. The cemetery was a nice place to visit, while following we
went to a park and played games of all varieties, like kan-jam and
volleyball.
We got out on time--yes!--and
planned for Ken's lesson. The thing with Ken was that he didn't make
time for us to talk. This time, we brought the member who referred us
to Ken; he set a course for Ken in a way neither of us could. I'm
really hoping his next lessons will be more doctrinally-oriented.
We
had a very solid, natural contact tonight. There were two girls
knocking on one of our neighbor's doors. One was an ex-girlfriend of
the guy inside and trying to return his glasses. We got both their
addresses to send missionaries by and gave one of them a copy of the
Book of Mormon. I didn't even really think about what to share or say,
but it went very well. Hopefully I can do more of that in the future.
Tuesday, June 6th, 2017:
The
days are getting pretty hot but we're still biking around a bunch, so
hydration is important. My fancy water bottle doesn't fit in the bike's
bottle holder, so I use a plastic bottle.
We've
had a lot of unexpected opportunities lately. Just today, we sat down
with a group of kids for a lesson by the parking area in an apartment
lot, followed by helping clean up after a funeral.
I've
been troubled trying to remember people's names well enough, but I'm
getting a hang of the area at what I think is a good pace. We had a
stake meeting tonight--the stake has monthly correlations--and I knew
which of the WMLs were ours.
Wednesday, June 7th, 2017:
We
forgot to tell our WML that it was his ward's turn to feed us this
week. We tried calling him yesterday many times, finally getting ahold
of him in the evening. He was in a bind due to time, so he just gave us
money. So... we're going to get a lot better at letting our wards know
when they are having us over for dinners.
Our
planning took about a half-hour this morning, which is unusual for us.
We've been trying to get planning down to a good time regularly. The
same has gone for weekly planning.
After our
morning, we visited a sister to prepare her to help another member quit
smoking. We helped her with her car a bit before we actually started.
Her son was there, and although he smoked, he seemed rather interested
in the program.
Right after, we biked over to
visit an elderly gentleman with his home teacher. I think it says a lot
when some of the best service we can give to seniors is just visiting
for a time.
The last visit of the day was to a
family trying to get back to church. They had a pet snake. I may want
to get a snake after my mission; they're pretty low maintenance. At
least, until I could afford a dog.
Thursday, May 8th, 2017:
Weekly
planning took less time than some other weeks, but we didn't finish
today because we attended a ward party for the whole evening. There
were many people--including most of the people we are working with--as
well as a kickball game and a roasted pig. It was a wonderful time.
Backing up, we got through most of our weekly planning. We can still get better at it, though!
(By the way, when I refer to VGP, it stands for Vision,
Goal, Plan. Every month, we have a zone goal for baptisms. The zone
leaders determine something we should already be doing that we could do better,
like contacting our investigators daily. Last month, it was contacting
investigators daily, having anyone we give a commitment to write it down, and
following up on commitments the next day.)
There was a baptismal interview for one of the sisters' investigators. He passed.
Friday, June 9th, 2017:
We
finished weekly planning today. Most of it was our companionship
inventory, in which we discussed and sorted out goals. Basically, I
took a long way to get to the conclusion that I need to focus on one
goal at a time. The rest of this transfer will be aimed at time
management.
Zone meeting focused on having good
studies. I think one thing I could take out of it is pausing to
reflect before I start and really pick out my target(s). I realized
during a recent study that if I am going too fast, no amount of
self-mastery would help me correct. Going too slow misses opportunities
to improve, but I may be trying to go too fast for where I'm at.
We
had a correlation with a WML, during which I received good insights
into how to inspire the members: bring about things based on my own
efforts [give credit to the WML], but more so have a good attitude for
the work.
We contacted a man while we were
biking. Normally, we just ride by everyone so I'm glad Elder Clayton
stopped. He had an interesting view of heaven--God saving us and giving
us a worry-free life, like a free pass--and I can't help but ponder how
many different views of God are possible, even in Christianity.
I
almost certainly will check out video game music as a career. I've
realized that it is what I miss most from video games at this point. I
will get excited at even the idea of it versus something like game
design. But that's all for later.
Saturday, June 10th, 2017:
We
had good exercises and a good companionship study this morning. I'm
glad we can have the mornings we do. Study is vital to a good day.
We
had a solid hour of phone work, which sometimes just needs to be done.
Following, I wiped out on my bike. I wasn't going very fast, but it
was on gravel--it grabbed my wheel and threw me. I was wearing gloves,
but my right knee took most of it. Fortunately, I was wearing pants
(not shorts) so my pants got cut and my knee got only two good scratches
in it. We headed back to the apartment, but not before the same Josh
we met not too long ago (he was recently out of jail) walked by and
offered a bandage and some ointment. That was cool.
Right
after, we attended a baptism for one of the sisters' investigators. We
ourselves weren't too involved. Still, it was great to feel the Spirit
in such a manner. Also, none of our investigators were able to go.
There was a ward activity for Mexican Train tonight. There are some things I can't* wait for. [*well...]
We
listened to my video game music during our free time... I really want
to be more focused, but I'm taking one goal at a time (right now, time
management). Also part of my difference in reaction between this time
and last time is due to being more comfortable in learning about
myself. I can recognize more things and, while making evaluations on
how to act, not distress myself.
Sunday, June 11th, 2017:
Today
was a good day. We planned, then headed out to church. Katirina and
Suaad showed up--even though we don't like the idea, Suaad's kids may
have to be taught separately as we haven't managed much contact with
them--and while they both had to leave early, we're glad they came at
all.
We had a lesson with Suaad in which we put
her on date for July 8th. She isn't fully on date, but long story
short she is ready for the gospel but didn't understand what a baptismal
service was and didn't know her schedule. She talked a lot about how
she had received answers to her prayers and said she would like to be
baptized.
We visited a few people in the area
with the 12th ward mission leader. Our evening was cut up because
another WML offered to have us over for dinner, which made our timing
weird, and a family that first turned us away wanted us back later in
the night. That was a good visit; we didn't get to talk to them as much
as they talked to us, but sometimes that's what's needed.
Monday, June 12th, 2017:
Elder
Clayton and I are getting along wonderfully and it's in high contrast
to any companion I've had before. I feel like I did better with Elder
Matsuzaki in improving as a missionary, but they each have different
forms of good. The downside is we can pull each other off track, but
we're both quick to refocus [usually].
During
studies, I first felt down on myself for not being mentally able to do
as good a job as I wanted to. As I reviewed some notes from sacrament
meeting, however, I read about how we shouldn't get down on ourselves
about where we are at. Rather, we know our starting point--everyone has
to start somewhere--and can go! Right there.
Another thing that struck me is the importance of being centered on Jesus Christ. We do this better by simplifying.
We're
getting a lot of new activity in our area. In the past week, we've met
many people (a few of which we got to refer to other areas, but no one
for our own area). A bishop called yesterday to tell us about maybe
five new potential investigators. We've been busy, like fresh air in
the work.
We blessed a sister's house today.
She saw shadowy apparitions. We don't know if she was sane, but there
were other people who had seen them as well. Really, evil spirits do
exist, but it does make sense. If God is real, He is real and so are a lot of other things.
Due
to a mix of showers in the day's forecast, we didn't bike. We talked
to a lot of people. There were all sorts of people, from a Polynesian
member giving us money as he passed us in a car to some teens smoking
with their skateboards to a divorced ex-member who didn't have a
testimony.
![]() |
| Our zone went to the temple on June 13 |


No comments:
Post a Comment