January 9th, 2017:
We
had quite the p-day! We got up, did exercises (6:30-7:00), prepared
for the day and studied until nine thirty, cleaned, went to emailing,
had lunch and cleaned our car, went to an office store (I got a refill
for the fancy pen from Brother Bywater), browsed Ross & TJ Maxx,
stopped by the mission office for our car (where I sent out many
letters), had dinner, attended a senior fireside by President Clayton,
and finished with a correlation meeting. It was a blur of activity; I'm
still sick so now I'm exhausted.
I tried to
make chicken noodle soup, but I guess I was using the wrong type of
pasta as it turned into chicken-celery-carrot noodle-mush. [Actually, I
had added the noodles with everything else instead of at the last 15
minutes or so. Whoops]
Being sick sucks. Especially as a missionary.
January 10th, 2017:
We're
in a trio today! That took up most of our proselyting time. Elder
Leterneau is from Japan (or, he served in Japan for 7 months) and has
problems in his knees. He's only temporarily with us--due to some odd
circumstances--and will probably be gone before this Monday. Anyway,
he's pretty experienced and I'm glad to have a new perspective in our
companionship for a bit.
Sister Shang loved the
dictionary [that my dad sent] so much that I let her use it. We're not
at the point where we can learn from it, so it was fine.
January 11th, 2017:
We learned more about Elder Laterneau today. He's had a lot of stuff, one thing being his knees.
January 12th, 2017:
We
talked, yesterday and today, about happiness as missionaries and
depression. Pretty interesting stuff, as I found I honestly haven't
been happy as much lately.
Sorry I'm not writing much right now.
January 13th, 2017:
It's
pretty fun being in a trio. You have a third voice to sort things
out. Elder Leterneau is almost the same in terms of obedience to me,
but a different enough personality that I've learned from him.
Our
dinner appointment was with a family where the father reminded me of
dad--his quick wit but with puns. He was very clever, though, and I've
been taking people too seriously on my mission so I was slow on the
uptake.
Elder Leterneau is staying with us! He
will work in the office Tuesdays through Thursdays until dinner, at
which point he will go out with us.
I really
enjoyed the Slades' card. It was the only thing I've received so far,
so it works! [The card is from a company called "Someecard" (it's a
certain type of card) and read: "Just wanted to be the first one to wish
you a happy birthday so I can feel superior to your fellow
well-wishers."]
I haven't been sleeping well due to my lingering cough, even with meds. Fortunately, I haven't been waking up the others.
January 14th, 2016:
We finished weekly planning today. Elder Leterneau has some good advice.
I'm
about to finish my first year as an adult. When Elder Leterneau said
that to me, I felt old (in a bad way :P). I have to laugh about that,
though.
January 15th, 2017:
I've
been bumping shoulders against Elder Bach more lately. It's just hard
for him to involve us in the area. ...to be honest, I've felt like I'm
fighting against him, although fighting is much too strong a word to
use.
I still have my cough, and it sucks! At
least the only thing it does is keep me up at night; it's hardly
noticeable in the daytime.
A few days ago, we
went to a place called Braza grill. It was good. So good, in fact,
that I strongly recommend it for Spencer & Dad. I can't remember if
Jason is a meat lover. Anyway, it's an all-you-can-eat steakhouse.
And it's good meat. It's ~$17 a person, which is well worth it for
special occasions. It's a Brazilian place, and they love their meats. I
know from Elder Matsuzaki. They also have grilled pineapple, which
helps break down the meat (don't get the beef tenderloin--it's very
chewy!). The only reason we went there, by the way, is that
missionaries eat free there. It's the mission's best freebie, so no one
wants to abuse--and thus loose--it. I hadn't gone before.
Our
mission has a Book of Mormon reading challenge! We're trying to read
the whole Book of Mormon by Easter. I would like to challenge my family
to do it with me, but especially Kirsten, Jason, and Spencer. That
deadline could be pretty crazy, so please read it by July 6th, 2017, the
one-year-mark of my mission. I don't want to push Mormonism on you,
but I would like to you know what I've chosen to believe and understand a
bit of why I chose to believe it. I hope that's fair. Spencer, please
keep a journal with you along with a copy of the Book of Mormon while
you embark on your hike! It would mean a lot to me for you all to do it
with me. Thank you.
So, if you couldn't tell,
I've been going through some personal challenges lately. I'm trying to sort them out. Here's some of it:
- I feel like I've been losing my personality.
- I feel like I've been emotionally detached.
- I feel like I haven't really been happy, at least as I look back on my mission. I've been happy in the moment many times, but it's a different thing.
Don't panic, as I haven't sorted it out and those
aren't like I'm-on-the-edge warnings or something. I just really hope
to sort it all out by the end of my mission.
No comments:
Post a Comment