Monday, September 26, 2016

Week 12: Baptisms!

Following is Garrett's email from his twelfth week of his mission. His email address is garrett.brothers@myldsmail.net. Please send packages c/o the mission home: 
 
Utah Salt Lake City East Mission
3487 S 1300 E
Salt Lake City, UT 84106

Week 12 journal

September 19th, 2016:

We talked to an investigator today.  He was mad at us and we didn't know why.  He said he read the Book of Mormon for six hours searching for when Jesus visits the Americas, even though we told him it was 3 Nephi 11.  We explained the term "Americas" didn't exist yet.  As we drove away, Elder Matsuzaki realized the man was looking for when Jesus visited "America," not "the Americas," ...meaning "USA."  We laughed about it a bit; we had never encountered such an issue before.

I've lost 3 pounds, meaning I've gone from 188 to 171 now on my mission!  I'm not going hungry [I have enough food] & I don't have a loss of appetite. I lost the first 14 in the MTC and have been pretty steady since so I'm more happy than worried.  Also, apparently the weight gain/food intake varies by area, so we'll see after I get transferred.

We had a "free" p-day, as we decided to not do a district activity.  We cleaned for a while (apartment & car & dishes) and did emailing and everything else, but right before Elder Matsuzaki could start a nap and I could write all the letters I needed to, someone called.  We ended up helping the same sister we gave a blessing to earlier move furniture into her apartment at 3:30-4:30 and basically ended p-day early.

I got a care package today from my grandparents!  It had all sorts of snacks in it.  I love it!  Thank you grandma & grandpa!

I've been collecting crockpot recipes slowly.  I have ~4 good ones now.  Crock pots are the best!

I got a compass lately, which helps because sometimes I'll get turned around, especially in the grid area of Evanston.


September 20th, 2016:

I got a care package from my mom!  It had my medicine refill in it and some other good stuff!  Thank you mom!

I can't wait for Logan to be on the field.  There are other friends of mine on missions from my stake, but it's cool to think someone from home could be in my district (or even companionship!).  Now, that being said I've been mentally preparing for how to stay focused, should I be matched with Elder Canaan

~Later~

We had lunch with a ward mission leader today.  It was awkward, at least a little, because we had to focus on our on-date investigators so we haven't really been out to his area.  There aren't many people to visit in his ward, but we haven't even visited them...

We visited an investigator far out in Yellow Creek ward.  She has a dog with long nails who really loves to play (he's a puppy), but part of his playing is jumping on us, so my arms now suggest that I crawled through a thicket.  Anyway, this lady is nice, but has a lot of concerns.  Like, if our conversation occurred via text I would say she was trying to bash, but she was super nice so I think she was sincere.  I bore my testimony the strongest I have ever had and I'm almost certain I was speaking with the spirit.  It was cool.

One of our investigators, Jose E, just told us he don't want to meet with us anymore and I'm sad.  He seemed really solid.  Also, it was "break up via text" and he said he was too busy to meet with us so... :(

Also, our dinner appointment today gave us Little Caesar's, but it was a make-your-own pizza kit and we couldn't wait for it to dethaw.  Elder Matsuzaki took a nap (he was full from lunch) and I made a tuna sandwich (canned tuna is the best!) and wrote cards I wanted to write for a while.  However I took longer than I should have and so Elder Matsuzaki slept... I feel bad; I have reasons which seemed acceptable at the time but they are excuses.  It was ~30 minutes in total; we got to home at 5:15 but I felt we should go at 6:00 and not 6:15, but at 6:15 I though I was almost done.  We left at 6:30...

Today we met a neighbor of ours.  HE got chronic nerve pain from an accident that he will never be healed from in this life.  To be faced with high pain for life... that sucks!


September 21st, 2016:

The man who wasn't going to get baptized actually changed his mind today!  Yes!  It's a miracle; he's going to get baptized with his wife on Friday!


September 22nd, 2016:

Alyssa got baptized today!  I was the one who baptized her. (Photos are below.) It was a wonderful experience and things went smoothly.

Alyssa is about 25 years old. She was investigating the LDS church because her previous minister lied to her and she didn't like going to her old church.  She has a mental handicap, but it's not major to the effect that she can't choose for herself or anything.

She was super humble and didn't have any problems preventing her from getting baptized.

We met Alyssa because she's the aunt to Mickey and Madajiah, recent convert siblings.  She asked for help moving and accepted the lessons from there.

There was some confusion over if she was YSA, in which case the other elders would teach her, but she's married (although soon to be divorced, though).

Also, she has a black cat named Princess.


September 23rd, 2016:

There was snow on the roofs of the cars this morning!  Snow comes really here.

Sahyra & Ramon tú en un bautismo en español este noche.  El espirito fue muy fuerte y el bautismo fue bonita. [Translation: Sahyra & Ramo were baptized in a Spansih service this evening. The spirit was very strong and the baptism was nice.] Sahyra was prepared from the day I met her.  She had a problem with tea which she easily gave up.  Ramon was a bit harder; he was doing it to support his wife but--as a remainant of his old life--he had trouble giving up his dream of working a marijuana business.  When we talked to him on Wednesday, he said he had received an answer from God and wanted to be baptized!  He got interviewed on the last possible day he could to be baptized with his wife.  I can't wait for them to be sealed in the temple!

They also have a son named Nicco and a baby boy named Benjamin.


September 24th, 2016:

Today we finally got out to Hilliard!  We haven't been all transfer, which is absurd, but the only things out there that we know of for us were a few referrals and one investigator who we communicate via text.  We finally set some time aside and did it, after baptism craziness.

We then visited people we needed to visit in Uinta View ward.  I spoke my first blessing today and it was pretty powerful.  Patricia is an older (50s?) woman struggling with arthritis & other things.  She's one of those people who just has a painful life due to health...

There was another man, Darrel, who's been taught by missionaries for years.  He just can't quit smoking.  Anyway I've found my ability (which is to say strength) to testify has increased!  I've found I love helping people because it's a form of healing, always, no matter how small.


September 25th, 2016:

All three newly baptized converts were confirmed today in church!  It was awesome.

Also, many wards had a primary program today.  It was fun to watch.

After the confirmations today, Nicco had separation anxiety about going to primary!  It was cute.

We had a lesson with Fidel today.  My Spanish is definitely improving.  I'm not quite ready to go on my own, but I'm remembering more!  Honestly I could probably serve in a Spanish area with very little difficulty now.

I felt the love of God a little in one of the sacrament meetings.  I was just reflecting on how wonderful everyone is and how there's so much to each person...

Also today, we bumped into Amanda.  She's less active now and we hadn't visited her a lot lately.  I had forgotten about her!  Anyway, she was kinda like "what's goin' on?"  That's what causes me stress--that I'll forget about people who really want us [or expect us] to visit...

~Later~

The sisters are pretty funny sometimes.  In a good way, I don't know exactly how to explain it.  The sisters--Lawson & Blacker--are currently at Star Valley and they had gone a few days on apples and water because there wasn't food there or something.  At one point a member gave them a piece of pizza while they were giving a tour of the new Star Valley temple, and Sister Blacker  hid it in her jacket in the temple and now she has a pizza stained jacket.

Pictures!
 

Garrett and Alyssa, 9/22/16


Elders Brothers and Matsazuki with Sahyra & Ramon, and son Nicco, 9/23/16
Garrett's Spanish fluency, according to his translation app
Garrett and his egg. There is a story behind this, but Garrett forgot to tell it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment